Friday, October 07, 2005

Surviving lunch.

Well, I managed to get out of going out with the boys for lunch. I went to Giant, got a mixed green salad topped with a few dried cranberries, a sprinkling of blue cheese, some carrots, 2 green olives and fat free vinagrette, a cup of vegetable crab soup and a banana.

Amy & I have been having a side conversation in email about how difficult it is to eat out. Since we are both in Hunt Valley I knew she would understand my dilemma today, although it really does apply everywhere. I went through the nutritional info on Panera's website about their foods and there are very few selections on the menu that don't go overboard in one way or another. A salad just shouldn't contain 30 g of fat!!!! Quiznos, Chipotle, Noodles, etc are all the same as well. And those are the places that trick you into thinking their food isn't garbage because it is "Fresh" or has a lot of veggies. If I get a few minutes later today I may make a spreasheet comparing things like the burritos at Chipotle to Big Macs and just see how it truly measures up. I do a really good job of avoiding the traditional fast food places, but I think I get caught frequently at the more trendy versions of fast food restaurants that are cropping up that just reinvent their marketing and image so you think the food is healthier.

No comments: