Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I DID IT

Well - PART of it... I was 205.2 this morning. That is OFFICIALLY more than 10 pounds lost!! Yippee!! I was very pleased this morning. I always try to "guess the number" while the scale is thinking about it. I guessed 206.2 this morning - but I was off by a pound! Hee hee. So this is 3.8 pounds down from last week's weight - which, I am sure, was a false reading. It is 3.2 down from my previous Tuesday weight - so that is 1.6 per week - which is RIGHT on track with what I have been doing all along.

Emily - I don't know if this is possible for you to do or not, but what Katie and I do for our food is each night after dinner we pack our "lunches" for the next day. In reality this is all the food we are allowed (and sort of required) to eat during the day. We pack everything from our skim milk and cereal up through our late afternoon snacks. We always include two fruits, two veggies, one more interesting snack (cheese stick, and crackers - or something) as well as lunch and breakfast. Then, we have a normal dinner with a vegetable. IF we are still hungry we are allowed an evening snack (ie yogurt, pistachio nuts, or something). Most time we each come home with SOMETHING in our lunch bags, so we will eat that after dinner instead - or pack it up again the next morning. This has been a great system for us, because after the first week or two we didn't really have to count the calories anymore, because it is always the same number. All of the stuff we take - combined with our dinner - usually comes out between 1200 and 1500 calories. This also makes our "cheating" harder to do (if we are munchie we check what is left in our bags) but also we mentally know we have about a 200 calorie buffer. That makes it easier to have appropriate treats once in a while to help keep us sane - or to figure in an evening snack. We find that we have to eat about every two or three hours to actually get rid of all of the food. We also measure everything into the recommended serving size. That way we know exactly how many calories we are consuming with each snack. You would be surprised how much an ounce of Bakes Lays are.

Katie and I do this even if we are not going anywhere the next day. You and Daniel could do the same and that way you won't feel compelled to eat the same things your kids do. You will also be able to control the balance of your daily intake. And - after the first week or so - it only takes Katie and me about 10 minutes to pack up a days worth of food. It is a chore once in a while - but for the most part packing our lunches is kind of fun.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Amy - thanks. This is what I used to do when I lived in Atlanta and drove to work, and it worked really well for me. I had dinners planned so I could plan my lunch and snacks for the day around what was missing from dinner. I no longer eat what the kids eat -- I haven't had macaroni and cheese in weeks, you'll note, except for a bite to see if it's done, or because Alexander is trying to share his with me! I'm eating yogurt regularly even though Mary doesn't eat it at all and Alexander was out of the habit (but he's back into it now that I am). My problem is that I eat well all day, usually, but after dinner I cave in to whatever Daniel offers me -- so he's the bad influence! Even that I'm getting better on resisting. I just need to eat more consistently, and I need more vegetables.