Friday, October 21, 2005

Friday temptation

Today I got to work, gym bag in hand, with plans to go to the gym at lunch. But at 9:30 my boss said that he and a couple of other people in the president's office were going to order chinese for lunch--did I want to join them? Well, yes. I'm having such a hard time getting to know people at work since I'm fairly isolated in my cubicle and I didn't want to pass up the first lunch invitation I had! So I didn't go to the gym at lunch--I ate chicken with cashew nuts in a conference room (but I only ate half of the order). Then I felt so sluggish, not to mention guilty, that I took another break and went to the gym at 3:30 and put in a half an hour on the treadmill. So I did at least get my exercise in, but didn't stick to my healthy, low-fat eating!

Now I'm home, it's 6:51, and I have no idea what to make for dinner. Something quick, obviously, that Claire would eat, which isn't so easy. I have to go back to making up menus--it's too easy to skip it, come home and made some nugget-based food for the kids. I know we have some green beans and broccoli--my intention was to make a chicken stir fry, but I don't feel like it after the chinese food for lunch.

Amy--congratulations on your weight getting back down to where you thought it should be! I think that's a lesson to all of us to stay away from Immodium! Nasty stuff.

I think when people say "have you lost weight?" it's just an acknowledgement of the fact that you look particularly good that day and that the person saying it thinks of losing weight as the ultimate beauty secret. Other people say "you look good--have you changed your hair?" or "is that a new outfit?" It has more to do with what they value than what they see. But if they say it now, you say "yes, I've lost a bunch of weight, thanks." I have the same body image problem--other people think they're fat when they aren't, but I still think of myself as very thin (too many years of trying to GAIN weight) and pretty athletic, so just coming to terms with being overweight and out of shape has been a process.

No comments: