Friday, October 28, 2005

Pounding the pavement

Today was exhausting. I ate irregularly and was on the go most of the day, after only 6 hours of sleep. Around 5:30 I had a frustrating conversation with amex about some of those false charges and after that I felt awful. I couldn't face the idea of dressing for the gym, loading the kids in and out of the van, and sitting on a bike staring at VH1 or some other drivel for 40 minutes. On the other hand, I found that I desperately wanted -- wanted! -- to get some exercise. I wanted to escape the house and the kids and the day. It was the sort of mood for which a month or two ago I would have wanted to eat every piece of candy or junk food in the house! So I put on a video, changed to a t-shirt, and told the kids I was going outside. I was planning to just get moving, maybe by running around the house, but by the time I was halfway into the driveway I knew that wouldn't do it. So I took off running down the side street next to our house, ran to the end (two blocks), and came back, then did the same on the other side street. I had thought I'd hit my usual lack of enthusiasm after 10 minutes at best, but instead I just wanted to keep moving. After 15 minutes (by which time I was walking instead of running) I popped my head into the house to tell Mary what I was doing and how she could track me down, and then I went out for another 20 minutes, mostly walking, but running the last segment again. ("Run" is a relative term -- my running is probably slower than my walking, but it's higher energy overall.) The whole outing felt great. My heart rate didn't get as high as it does when I bike, and it wasn't a full 40 minutes, but it was fun and it made me feel so much better. I'm really excited that I actually wanted to exercise. And this is the first time I've gone jogging since Mary was born, I think; I've tried before, but my chest bounces, and it can be uncomfortable but moreover I'm self conscious about it. Tonight I decided I just didn't care -- it didn't hurt, for some reason (is that because I'm more fit? -Wishful thinking) and I don't know most of these neighbors, so if I look odd they can get over it.

Let's see -- the usual breakfast, and yogurt and canteloupe for lunch, and dinner was a slice of cheese pizza and a glass of milk. My snacks were a real hodgepodge -- I had the usual string cheese and almonds, and I let myself have a fun pack of some M&Ms and a beer after dinner. But I also ate bits of the "witches' brew" from the preschool Halloween party -- about 4 mini pretzels, two mellocreme pumpkins, a couple of M&Ms, six or eight raisins, several mini marshmallows, and probably other things I've forgotten. But I resisted taking a big cupful and filling up on it, and except for marshmallows I've stayed out of the bag the kids brought home. It hasn't been a very nutritious day, but it could have been a whole lot more caloric, so I'm not very distressed.

Oh! And I broke the 160 barrier today! It's not official until Tuesday, but I was glad to see it all the same.

No comments: