Friday, October 14, 2005

Hanging in

It's been a pretty good week for me, although maybe about to be messed up by a not-so-good weekend! So far I've exercised every day since Sunday (one more session and I get me an embellishment!) and have stuck to healthy eating. Last night after a long evening picking up Claire in Cockeysville, going to Barnes and Noble and then to the hospital, I got home at 9:30 absolutely famished--I hadn't eaten anything since my string cheese at 3:30. Brian and the kids had gone to McDonald's for dinner, but fortunately didn't get anything for me! I made myself a spinach salad and cottage cheese with pears and that filled me up sufficiently for the night. This morning my weight was 150.4, but I don't expect it to stay that low--that much of a jump from one day to the next isn't sustainable.

Today is the college-wide picnic to celebrate the 35th anniverary of the college, so I'll be eating whatever they serve. The good news is that these sorts of events rarely have really tempting food for me, so I'm not too worried. Tomorrow we're going pumpkin picking with the kids and I already know that I'm going to get their shredded pork barbeque sandwich. Yum. It probably has 10,000 calories and a million grams of fat, but I'll make up for it somehow! It's unfortunate how many once-a-year treats there are in October. OTOH, if I can keep up my weight loss and still indulge in these treats (within reason), then I'm doing pretty well.

Exercise tip-of-the-day--I read this in Fitness yesterday and thought it was a good trick. They said to look ahead at your next week and find your busiest day, then plan to fit in exercise on that day (schedule it somehow--even if it's walking the stairs at work for ten minutes in the morning and ten more in the afternoon followed by three minutes of jumping rope before bed--that's a pretty good workout). If you can fit exercise into your busiest day of the week, then you'll be more likely to also fit it in on other days when your time isn't so packed. I realize that I've been doing that all week--most days I'm up at 6:20, work all day, get home at 6:00 (on a good day), out again for various things in the evening, then get home and help put kids to bed, fill out school/daycare forms (there are always a ton of them--what's with that?), pack lunches, pack backpacks, straighten a bit, do the dishes, etc. It's been an insanely busy week by any standards, but I've still managed to exercise every day, and I was one of these people a few weeks ago saying "I don't have time to exercise--I have too many other responsibilities and I'm not going to get up any earlier than I already do." Well, sure, I don't have time to do an hour-long workout every day, but I've been able to fit in exercise in smaller increments and it's working pretty well.

No comments: