Tuesday, October 11, 2005

It must be Cecilia's doing

Because today's weight certainly wasn't from my effort (or lack thereof) -- I weighed in at 164! I'm happy to have seen such a low number -- I was seeing weights up to two pounds higher for a good portion of the week -- but I know if I want it to be real I'm going to have to work a lot harder. I'm not sure what my exercise plan will be today. Alexander has a bug (he threw up yesterday and has a low-grade fever today) so I can't take him out, and I have a cold (sore throat and stuffy nose and I keep imagining that my stomach's upset) so it's going to be hard to muster enthusiasm. But maybe I'll do aerobics, or if Daniel's home before dark and it's not raining I'll go for a walk -- it would be nice to breathe in some of the cool autumn air.

I don't remember the statistic on how long it takes to make better eating a permanent habit. It's not like trying to stop biting your nails or to start making your bed every day; those are 21-day habits. I read an article recently that quoted the statistic for healthy eating and exercise, and it was either three, four, or six months, but I'm not sure which! In any case, we still have several months to go before we're good at this. I don't mean that to be a downer; we have to start somewhere! But we have to be willing to keep working at it for a long time if we really want to make this a life-long change.

No comments: