Friday, October 14, 2005

I'm hiring Mary as my personal trainer

Last night I was bound and determined to get some exercise, as I said in yesterday's post. I spent the day feeling mostly normal -- that is, I still had cold symptoms but didn't feel like I was off-balance. But as the day wore on I started feeling icky again, so I didn't work out while Mary was at Brownies. Then at dinner time I was feeling better so I felt like a real wimp again for not having exercised, so after dinner, while Alexander was watching Blue's Clues, I just got moving. I ran up and down the stairs, using various patterns, and after ten minutes or so of that I started doing jumping-jacks arms and dancing around, until my arms were tired of that. Then I went back to the stairs and was just going to jog up and down the first few for a while. But I was getting bored and tired, so I was considering quitting after 20 minutes of working out. Then Mary joined me at the 15 minute mark and started running up and down the stairs, and she wasn't content with just going up and down two or three -- she started calling out how many stairs we had to cover on each trip, often all the way to the top! She knew all the right language -- she talked about how we were burning calories and fat and making our muscles strong and our hearts healthy. She sounded like a peppy aerobics instructor. This after only seeing two aerobics videos in recent weeks! She kept me going until the 30 minute mark and would cheerfully have gone on longer -- I was completely pooped! I overdid it, in fact -- I didn't recover my equilibrium for over an hour. Ugh. But I'm glad I didn't let myself go another day without exercise.

Nothing interesting to report on the food plan -- I had the usual breakfast, lunch of yogurt and a handful of almonds, snacks of a banana and a small box of raisins, and dinner of brunswick stew and a half piece of toast. Later I had some chips and salsa, when I realized I was so short on calories again. I think that was about it.

No comments: