Friday, October 21, 2005

OK - getting better

This morning I was 206.4. I was 206.4 last night at about 10:30 pm (shortly after I ate dinner) - so, either the scale is broken, or I am back on track. This is OK, and it leaves me over 2 weeks to lose permanently 1 more pound to get me to my five pounds a month goal. I ended the first month down 5.6 (I was up a little on the first day of the new month). Still - this is really good. I know I am skirting around the same points for the past few weeks, but in reality I have lost almost 10 pounds!! This is pretty impressive for ME who NEVER loses weight.

Like Julie, I know this is a lifelong thing... I remember being in the 3rd grade thinking I was "chubby" and then in the 5th or 6th grade being embarrassed having to wear shorts in gym because my thighs were big (or so I thought). NOW, I don't mind being curvey - but I don't like being fat. I am still almost 10 pounds away from being just plain overweight instead of obese - and I am really excited to make it to that goal!

I do wonder though - most people who lose 10 pounds or more you can TELL that they have lost weight. I know 10 pounds is just a small % of my total weight - but I wonder how far I will have to go to have people notice a difference. I am already imagining what to tell people who DO notice... What do you say to someone who says "Have you lost weight?" In the past I was always mildly offended (mostly because NO I haven't lost weight). I would always wonder how fat those people were picturing me in their minds. If I looked like I lost weight when I hadn't, that means they must be remembering me as a fat person (with glasses - people notice my glasses too...). Sigh. I have such a sexy, svelte picture of myself in my mind. I might as well acknowledge I am NOT sexy or svelte.

I had a funny experience today - and it isn't the first time I have noticed this. I went to the desk of a woman (who I always picture as overweight with glasses - but I AM prettier than her, I know that!!! 8-) She was eating her lunch of chicken tenders and French fries. It looked SO unappealing to me. I am glad of that because normally I would see that and then crave the same sorts of foods. I was happy to come back to my desk and eat my fresh broccoli and yogurt. (Then I had a mini Almond Joy - DAMN Halloween!!!)

No comments: