Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I'm not gloomy!

My good news is great news as far as I'm concerned, and my bad news is that fitting in exercise today will be tough--but I'm still going to manage it.

Is anyone other than me actually counting calories? I've found that that's the single most helpful thing for controlling my intake. The recommendation for weight loss is 1500 calories a day in order to lose a pound a week. Usually I've been doing about 1300 calories, and except for the one week where my weight stayed the same, I've seen a slow and steady decline so I'm pretty happy with the changes I've made. By targeting a specific caloric intake, it's been pretty easy to manage weekends, parties, goodies at home, etc. It's one thing to say "well, it's just a little snack" and another to have to write down those 400 calories worth of french fries (which is what a medium order of fries from McDonalds is) and see how it completely threw off your total.

I think today has been my most cheerful day yet on this program! There's no way I'm quitting! If today's weight was accurate, then I've lost 8 pounds--two more and I get another "treat." Ten more and I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight--if I've lost 8 pounds in seven weeks and I can keep up this rate of loss, then by next summer I shouldn't have to worry about looking like a pig at the Brownie swim night!

Editing to add: if I've done my math right, as of yesterday the bunch of us together have lost 38.5 pounds. Emily's the big winner with 12 pounds lost; the rest of us are averaging 6 to 7 pounds lost. Not too shabby!

No comments: