Monday, October 10, 2005

Completely cut off from the world

I got home on Friday night and discovered that my internet service was down. After rebooting a few times, I finally chalked it up to the bad storm and went to bed. Saturday morning--same thing. I spent a half an hour (mostly on hold) with the Verizon tech support people who tested all the lines and finally determined that it wasn't a technical problem, but an account problem (they said, "I'm not saying you didn't pay your bill, but...") and I'd have to call the billing department on Monday since they were closed for the weekend. So I looked at my most recent bill and saw that I had a $66 credit--they owe ME money. So this morning I got on the phone with the billing department, who transferred me around a bit and eventually asked if they could call me back (after a half an hour, again mostly on hold, and after determining that my account was fine). A bit later they called back and told me that there was a problem with the local service whatsits and that my access at home would be down until October 29!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

October 29! I could lay cable for my own network in that time! Buncha hacks. I wonder how much Comcast would cost me?

In any event, that's why I wasn't on the blog all weekend. And since I shouldn't be doing this from work, I probably won't be around much at all until after the 29th.

But I had a pretty good weekend as far as my diet and exercise goes. I didn't get out for my run on Saturday since it was pouring rain, but I kept my food intake under control, and when Claire was at the mall for a birthday party, I put Connor in the jogging stroller and walked around the mall for most of the three hours we were there. Slowly, of course--malls are crowded on rainy Saturday evenings--but at least it was movement. On Sunday I went for my run in the morning, but wasn't so good on the food--soynut butter and jelly for lunch, birthday cake, then eggs and toast and peach crisp for dinner (especially not good in the fruit and vegetable department). My weight is still creeping down, though, so I'm still on track.

I'm freezing at work today. I wonder if shivering burns calories? I have my fleece jacket on and I'm still cold. Breakfast and lunch today are the usual--cereal, coffee, yogurt, fruit, crackers, almonds and string cheese for snack. I haven't thought about dinner yet for tonight. Oh, on Friday when I forgot my lunch, I ended up with much the same food for lunch: $3 buys a container of yogurt, package of pretzels, and a small salad.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Please tell me they're going to prorate your account for October! Our service claims they prorate if it's out for more than four days. And I'd insist on them providing an emergency backup dialup number in the meantime -- another thing we finally finagled out of our company after raising Cain enough times. (Though it's a bit of a nuisance -- for some reason there are a few sites that now think they need the dialup, so they pop up the modem window every time I load them. Like every single page on Snapfish. Ugh!)