Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The scale doesn't show all the progress

I'm not interested in quitting anytime soon! I am losing weight still (this morning notwithstanding), though I am not convinced it's because of any effort on my part. I was thinking about this today -- even if I'm not succeeding at reducing calories dramatically, I have been making exercise part of my life, so I'm in much better shape than I was, and I hope I can keep that up. I also have stopped hunting for the junk-food snacks all day -- when I get the munchies, there's always something on hand that is nutritious and that will satisfy the craving. I've gotten much better at quitting with "just one" -- like the one chocolate square every day for two weeks, and the one mini cupcake yesterday (and today). And I'm trying to learn to leave food on my plate, though I'm still working on this one. I did pretty well on that at the restaurant yesterday! So even though I beat myself up over days like yesterday, I still feel like I'm making progress, and I'm enjoying the ride.

It's not fair to call me the biggest loser -- my numbers need to be cut in half for purposes of comparison, since Cecilia's eating away my pounds. And I'm curious to see if the weight will continue to come off at the same rate now that I've hit my pre-pregnancy weight, or if things will slow down after this. With each of the last two, I lost the weight without trying, and kept losing for a few more pounds before I settled into a weight (and then after Alexander a whole bunch came back). So I don't have a pattern to follow this time, since I'm actually putting conscious effort into losing weight.

Anyway, today I did exercise -- after yesterday I felt guilty for not exercising when Cecilia really wasn't all that sick, so today when she just seemed to have mild cold symptoms I saw no reason not to try the gym. On the way to the gym I heard a bark of a cough that had me worried, but she was in a good mood when I got there, so we left her. But 22 minutes into our 45-minute bike ride, the sitter came to find us and told us that she'd been crying nearly the whole time, and it was all that barking sound! I nursed her and got her to fall asleep quickly, and then I managed to squeeze in 10 minutes more on the bike before we had to leave for swim lessons, but I felt horribly guilty for having brought my poor sick baby to a sitter! So until the barking stops (Ce-Seal-ia, Mary is calling her) I need to stay away from the gym. I did get 30 minutes of exercise, if not continuous, and then after swim lessons I walked the half mile from the pool to the church, where Daniel was burning a few zillion more calories by laying down mulch with the preschool parents.

Food: Today I had my usual breakfast, and for lunch I had yogurt (but I can't remember if I ate anything else!). I had a mini-cupcake for dessert, and then I had snacks of raisins, string cheese, and almonds. At the church when I went to meet Daniel I had an apple and a handful of pretzel nuggets (about half a serving, according to the bag), and then for dinner I ate the rest of last night's steak and a few more bites of potato. I had some ice cream for dessert, but not much (felt good on my throat, which is sore again, though). I had absolutely zero vegetable matter today. I'm not normally that bad. At least I had extra fruit because of the apple.

I haven't been counting calories -- I keep a vague mental record of servings from food groups, because that's easier. If I find myself feeling munchy or hungry I go through the list to see what I can still get away with eating (and it's usually not anything from the breads and cereals group, although I'm eating far less from that area than I was before we started the diet). Unfortunately I don't often think, "Gee, I'm short on vegetables" and grab a carrot or some broccoli! I need to do that more often...

Sorry this is such a long post. I'll try to keep things short and sweet tomorrow!

No comments: