Sunday, September 18, 2005

Whole wheat = healthy?

We didn't do a big brunch this morning so I had a bowl of cereal and OJ for breakfast and was feeling very smug. But it occurred to the kids that even though they didn't go to church this morning (they went last night) it was Sunday, so they were entitled to a brunchy meal even if they had had breakfast already. It being lunchtime, I agreed to make them pancakes. I used the simple recipe (instead of the usual buttermilk, which is a pain because I have to thaw it out, since this is the only thing I use it for) from Betty Crocker and substituted white whole wheat for the white flour, and I used skim milk and not whole, and they were AWESOME. Really yummy. I ate three (two right away, and then I grazed all afternoon on Alexander's last one which he'd barely touched) but at least they weren't huge. I also ate some ham lunchmeat to get some protein -- I resisted the urge to make bacon. I can't decide if I should feel guilty about the pancakes or not -- they were whole grain and skim, but they're made with 2 tablespoons of oil in the batch, plus I can't eat pancakes without margarine (which I kept to a minimum) and syrup (fat free, so it's healthy, right? sigh...), so they don't seem exactly low-cal. I think I probably should feel guilty.

I snacked on a banana in addition to the pancake, and then for dinner I fixed chicken breasts with broccoli and rice -- it's a casserole that uses a can of cream of chicken soup, but other than that there's no added fat so it's really quite healthy. I thought I had instant brown rice, but I didn't, so I had to use white, but I kept my rice portion small. I did eat dessert -- the last of the blackberry sherbet, about 3/4 cup -- but all in all I was very good today.

Unfortunately, I didn't exercise. The gym wasn't really an option, as I said earlier, but I planned to go for a walk after dinner. Except I forget that it's getting dark at 7:30! After that I failed to come up with an alternate plan. Phooey.

No comments: