Saturday, September 24, 2005

Miles to go before I sleep

I missed posting yesterday and Thursday. I have an excuse for Thursday -- after school Mary had Brownies and I worked out, and then we came straight home and ate dinner, and then I was right back out for choir, and then home again for the kids' bedtime, and then all the chaos with trying to get the Baptism sorted out. Thursday evening I had a beer and some tortilla chips with cheese dip -- Daniel and I were so grouchy that we both headed for the comfort food! I restrained myself from overeating, though; normally I eat the dip until I'm nearly sick. I probably had more than a dozen chips, though. I paid for it on the scale yesterday morning, but it wasn't dramatic, and today I'm back to where I was.

On Thursday when I worked out I decided to try something other than the cycles, so I used a stairmaster-y thing with ski-type handles (not as complicated as it sounds) for 30 minutes. I don't think the workout was as good as the cycles, but it was weight-bearing (better for my bones!) and it at least used arms a little. The arm things were more of a nuisance than a workout, though, so yesterday Daniel and I went back to the cycles. We talked about doing toning instead, since he had a date to go running with a friend after the gym, but then our favorite bikes were open, and going to the weight room means being in front of a bunch of people who are actually in shape and know what they're doing with the equipment, so we ended up on the bikes anyway. (And he still went running later!) Since I had worked out the previous two days, I was feeling quite tired, and when I put the level at a 6 my thighs started to burn -- not in a good way, but in an eating-up-muscle way -- so I put it back down to a 5 and kept it there for the whole 40 minutes. Not that that's bad; that's still way better than my starting point!

Anyway, after three days of exercise in a row I've logged many miles of staying still. I think I'm going to have to start charting the route across the US or something. I was planning on taking today off and just doing toning at home, but Mary left her social studies binder at the gym, so we have to go back for it, and if I have to go there anyway, I might as well exercise. Oh, phooey! I just realized it's a game day and there won't be anywhere to park, but it's too far to walk. I'll have to think about that. We might have to go right away -- game time isn't for six hours yet. But I'll log some miles today somehow.

I ate much better yesterday than Thursday -- no beer or chips! I had ham and lettuce on whole wheat for lunch, plus a few cucumber slices (should have been more, but the kids discovered them and ate almost all of them), two bananas for snack (post-exercise -- I was only going to eat one, but they were small and Alexander didn't want his, and they were *so* good that I didn't want to see his go to waste), and meatloaf with dill sauce for dinner, with sides of partly whole-wheat bread machine bread and a salad. And milk to drink. I didn't have dessert; for the first time in aeons it simply didn't occur to me!

Today we're making blackberry muffins (Alexander's doing -- he would not be put off another day) but I'm going to eat just ONE. And I used skim milk and a third whole wheat flour, so I can pretend they're healthy. ;)

No comments: