Thursday, September 29, 2005

Where did my appetite go?

I gave myself permission to ignore my diet today, but I didn't do very well most of the day! I ate my usual breakfast (with Lucky Charms, though). I had pizza for lunch but I was stuffed after one medium slice. I ate only three Nutter Butters through the afternoon -- I really thought I'd find myself pigging out on them. At dinner time, though, I got much better about not dieting. We had veal scalloppine, and I didn't eat much pasta but I had three smallish pieces of veal. I also had a caesar salad that was heavy on the dressing. And a big piece of chocolate cake. And a beer and a generous glass of wine! Oh, and homemade ice cream -- not such a small portion -- just a bit ago (several hours after dinner). But I was reaching full after the salad alone, so I couldn't have eaten more pasta than I did, and if I hadn't eaten so slowly I never would have had even that much. And I don't feel as good as I do on days when I eat a lot less. I'm actually not sorry to be returning to the diet tomorrow.

I wasn't planning on it, but I did get some exercise today. I ended up not going on Mary's field trip, but when we got home from dropping Mary off at Brownies it was clear I was going to be underfoot, with Daniel at home trying to get things done, so I put Alexander and Cecilia in the stroller and went for an energetic walk for about 30 minutes. It was probably only about two miles, but I was pushing a double stroller and it was hilly, so I got a pretty good workout.

I'm not having any trouble sticking to the reduced food intake. But I'm really getting tired of the exercise. I think the key for me will be to get more variety -- the bikes are just too boring most of the time. I do enjoy having some time to sit and chat with Daniel, without our sentences getting interrupted every two words or so, but we run out of energy for conversation long before we run out of bike time. The walk today was really refreshing, and it was the perfect day for it. But I don't like walking without a partner very often, and I get bored with the walking as quickly as I do with the bikes. And it will soon be too cool for the kids in the stroller. I am trying to get to a class once in a while, but it's hard to fit into the gym's schedule, and the afternoon classes are so packed. Daniel has a tennis racket and would like for us to try that, so I'm going to swing by Play it Again one of these days and see if I can get a cheap used one for me, but what to do with the kids will be an issue (and I'm really, really, really bad at any sports that involve equipment, so this will mostly be a game of Daniel hitting the ball and me running around to retrieve it after I've missed it).

I didn't have any real point in bringing this up, except to worry about the upcoming weeks, and in any case none of this matters for this weekend -- we're going to Alabamaville tomorrow and will be gone until Sunday, so I'm not likely to get exercise any of the next three days. There's a family reunion on Saturday (it will be interesting trying to keep to my diet on Southern potluck food), which will probably just about kill me with the standing around and chatting, but if I have the energy I'll go for a walk that day so I'm not completely out of shape by Monday.

No comments: