Thursday, September 15, 2005

Slowing metabolism?

Last night at mom's, I served myself my usual small portions of everything: half a chicken breast, steamed carrots, stuffing, salad. And then I was too full to finish it all. A week ago, I would have been still hungry after eating every bite. The same thing happened at lunch today: yogurt, five pretzels, grapes and I could barely finish it--I was stuffed. I even turned down the Skinny Cow! I figure it's one of two things--either my stomach is shrinking so it can't accomodate as much, which is a good thing, or my metabolism is slowing down as it adjusts to my lower food intake, which isn't a good thing.

I know that the only way to rev up my metabolism is with exercise, especially building up muscle. While last week I was more worried about reducing how much I ate, this week I'm trying to be more active throughout the day, doing all the things that you read about in magazines: parking farther away from the door, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. I never got around to that abs video last night because I didn't get home with the kids until well after their usual bath/bedtime so we were running late with everything, but I did spend some time chasing the kids around the backyard. I'll have a go at my abs tonight.

Emily, have you tried the Annie's Organic mac and cheese? http://www.annies.com/ I'm not sure if it's available near you, but I can get some here and send it or bring it down. They have a huge variety of flavors and types, and I think several are whole grain. I've never tried it myself, but I know a lot of people who eat it and love it (including kids). I don't know if there is much benefit in the calorie/fat department, but at least it's a bit healthier.

No comments: