Thursday, September 22, 2005

What's your motivation?

One of the things I read in Fitness magazine said that the motivation to stick with a diet/exercise routine just for the sake of losing weight or being healthy will last just about four weeks--not nearly long enough to keep most people going for the long time necessary for most weight loss. They suggested finding other rewards that are more tangible and that don't require you to hit your final goal--like treat yourself to a pedicure for every five pounds lost. Lauren Sue, the woman who got into shape and lost 70 pounds with pilates, said that she rewarded herself every day, sort of, by not allowing herself to get on the internet until she had exercised.

I think it would be easier to pass up the tempting brownies or the vending machine food (or the Twizzlers in the kitchen in my case) if you have something to look forward that is more easily attainable. I'm using Twinkling H2O's--I've wanted more than the tiny set I have for a couple of years, so my original plan was to get myself new colors when I hit 150. Now that 150 pounds is further away, I'm going to reward myself with them when I've lost five pounds (starting with the 157 weight). I'll either set a new reward for myself or just stick with more paint sets after that time, probably a smallish reward for every five pounds, or roughly once a month if I stick with steady weight loss.

So think about what you'd like your reward to be (can't be food or drink!) and post it here so we all know what you're working for.

No comments: