Monday, September 26, 2005

First day of work

I forgot to take my snacks with me today, so I was worried that I would get horribly hungry at work with no way to deal with it. But I was fine all morning, hungry at lunch (sesame chicken salad--probably too much, but it was the healthiest thing I could find on the menu. I was doing well, too--ate the chicken (grilled) and the huge salad and virtuously left the breadstick, but it was taking my new boss so long to eat and I was feeling stupid just sitting there watching him eat, so I gave in and ate it), then I was ravenous by the time I got home, so I ate a handful of almonds to tide me over until dinner (broiled fish, peas, and some pasta side dish thing). I don't know what my calorie count for the day was, but I don't think I was too far off my goal, and I'm a bit peckish now, which is a good sign overall that I didn't eat too much. I'm getting ready to do my pilates video.

Good news about work: people really do take a lunch break, and no one would think it's strange for me to use the fitness center at lunch, so I'm going to try to get in one or two cardio sessions each week there in addition to my weekend sessions and nightly pilates.

Bad news about work: everyone has candy at their desk. Well, maybe not everyone, but I saw at least three candy dishes in the department and the woman I'm replacing has a bag of candy bars stashed in a drawer that she plans to leave behind. Heaven help me.

I met Dan Friedman, a chemistry professor who has been at Howard since 1970 and says he might know Dad. He said my name sounded familiar. Small world!

No comments: