Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I'm not overweight.

Smug bitch. Can I say that word in front of Mom?

I got on the scale this morning completely convinced that I would see no weight loss at all since I haven't been exercising, and I was all prepared to blame it on Mom's lasagna (which left me downing water all night--I think all that cheese was saltier than I'm used to) but instead I was shocked to see that I weighed 153. Now I don't believe for a second that I really lost four pounds in one week, so either my starting weight was inaccurate (quite likely given all the food I ate at Amy and Katie's last weekend) or my ending weight reflected my dehydration. Or somewhere between. I guess we'll know better next week. But that 153 brings my BMI into the "normal" range. So I celebrated with two Twizzlers today. ;-)

My ring of fat around my middle disagrees with that "normal" BMI, so I'm not going to rest on my chubby laurels. Except for those Twizzlers, my diet today was good: Kix for breakfast (tastes like those cornstarch packing pellets), coffee, almonds for snack, cottage cheese and fruit and crackers for lunch, those Twizzlers, and bean and pasta stew for dinner. The stew is from a recipe Emily gave me years ago--it's really easy to make and tastes good and is pretty healthy. Then we walked rather than driving to Claire's school for back-to-school night. I'd like to say that's because I wanted the exercise, but really it's because parking is hell and we'd end up parking just as far away as we live. Plus with gas topping $3 per gallon, it didn't seem worth it.

Oh! When I got to work today my boss asked "have you lost weight? Your face looks thin. Is everything o.k.?" So maybe I really did lose something.

Welcome to the family, Julie! Glad you could join us!

Katie--you're lucky to be able to weigh in at school (except that you really can't do it naked, can you?). My scale is about a million years old and not digital, but it seems accurate enough so I'm sticking with it. I really liked it this morning.

Like Katie (was it Katie?), I'm discovering that after a week of not constantly grazing, I find that I'm actually hungry at mealtime, which is a nice change. I used to come home from work hungry, so I'd snack on whatever I could find and then would eat a full dinner because what else are you going to do, and then I'd eat more after getting the kids in bed because, umm, I don't know why. Bored? Tired?

I don't have time tonight, but tomorrow I'll post a link to my friend Lauren Sue's site--she lost a TON of weight with Pilates and has been filmed for one of their infomercials that is supposed to air this fall, so you all can see a real "results not typical" person. Julie's comment about the Weight Watchers success stories reminded me of that.

No comments: