Friday, November 18, 2005

Thoughts To Make Us Thin

This was in the December issue of Oprah magazine. There is more in the article but you'll have to borrow it if you want to read it. These are the bullets I found relelvant:

#1 Old Way of Thinking: I ordered the grilled cheese, so why not get the fries too? I've already
blown it for today.
Switch To New Thinking...One treat at a time. I'm indulging in grilled cheese so I'll trade the
fries for a salad.

#2 Old: I'll just have this ONE cookie.
New: If I can't stop at one or two coookies I shouldn't have any at all.

#3 Old: After that grueling workout, I deserve a bacon double cheeseburger.
New: Ater busting my butt at the gym, my body deserves the VIP treatment.

#4 Old: It would be rude to turn down another helping of my mother-in-law's lasagna.
New: I'm being disrespectful to my body by forcing down more than my fill.

#5 Old: Other people are going back for more food and they're thin.
New: I need to eat at a pace that's right for my body.

#6 Old: I save dessert for special occasions.
New: I'll eat dessert if I have room left in my calorie budget.

#7 Old: Once I lose ten pounds I can get off this horrible diet.
New: The only way I'll lose weigt is by permanently changing the way I eat.

I think we are each already embracing these to varying degrees. However, I know #1 and #2 still get me way too often so I have to work to change that. #3 is an extreme, but I know sometimes I will be a little less vigilant with my eating if I have walked a lot in a day. Like last Friday in Dresden--I could have taken better advantage of those 10,000+ steps I walked if I would have opted for a smaller treat at dinner than the turtle milkshake I ended up having. I could have just had a strawberry milkshake and it would have been less calories. Although I did forgo the fries and had a side salad and some vegetable soup with my sandwich at dinner, so I still have trouble judging how strict to be with myself. I made a half "good" choice considering the evils that lurked on the menu...

No comments: