Friday, November 18, 2005

Why we are losing weight

Every once in a while you meet someone who reminds you of why it is you want to get into shape and lose weight. The positive examples (like my friend Lauren Sue) are inspiring, but I think the negative examples are a bit more motivating. There’s a girl at work that I just feel badly for, but you also want to shake her and say “stop eating so much!” I’d also yell “get some exercise!” except at the moment she can’t. She’s quite young (in her 20’s) and pretty, but very overweight and is dealing with a LOT of the health problems associated with being obese even though she’s pretty young to have them. She was diagnosed with diabetes this year, and just this week she blew out her knee (while getting up out of a chair). In the process of trying to determine what’s wrong with her knee (she may need surgery), they also found out that she may well have gout. Like I said, I feel badly for her, but every one of these problems is directly related to her weight and was preventable. So who cares about the bathing suits—I want to lose weight so I most likely won’t have to deal with diabetes, knee surgery, and gout.

No comments: