Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Count me in

I definitely don't get enough water. I read once that sometimes when you're craving sweets it's really because you're thirsty. I don't know how true that is, but I know when I'm thirsty the only thing I can consider eating is something sweet -- today my mouth was nearly paste but when I walked by the closet where the candy is, I still considered grabbing something, and then I had to stop and think, "I'm desperately thirsty. Am I NUTS?"

Anyway, I think we should say that anything caffeine-free, calorie-free, sodium-free, and sweetener-free should count as water. I would include herbal teas and flavored water, provided it's not the flavored water with aspartame (Daniel has been drinking lemon-lime soda water from Kroger as his soda replacement, and it's not sweetened but it's got a nice flavor). There's some evidence that artificial sweetners actually increase your appetite -- that's one theory behind why diet soda drinkers often gain weight overall. Caffeine can be a diuretic, so it diminishes your water in your body, and sodium can cause you to retain water, which is a problem in the opposite direction. And obviously we need to go calorie-free, or it's not helping the diet any.

Does this sound reasonable?

No comments: