Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Still exercising, still overeating

Yesterday I ate pretty well -- I don't remember specifics but it wasn't much food most of the day, and I had fruit and whole grains and everything. But then Daniel brought me a beer and I ate several chocolates, after having had only two all day! Today I was terrible about the chocolates, and everything else, for that matter. For breakfast I had a doughnut and a small bowl of raisin bran. For lunch I had two chocolate chip cookies, and then for snack I had about a gallon of popcorn. Seriously. Dinner was pizza but I was so sick from all the popcorn that I only ate once slice (and, more to the point, I only wanted one slice!). I have a headache now, I think from eating so badly all day. I did have milk to drink this evening, and other than that I had water all day -- I didn't drink a soda at the movies.

But I have been very good about exercise. Yesterday I went out mid-afternoon and wound up walking for an hour, mostly to make up for some of the time I'd missed the day before. And I wasn't at all sore, though I was ready to go to bed at about nine. Today we went to the Space and Rocket Center in the morning, then got home and turned right around to go to the movies (hence the cookies for lunch -- they were straight from the oven and easily grabbed), and by the time we got back the sun was setting. But I didn't want to think about breaking my streak when I didn't even have an excuse like the weather, so I immediately changed into my exercise clothes (and inspired Daniel to do the same, because yesterday he found out about the exercise challenge and thought he should make some effort himself, starting today). By the time I was about a mile out it was getting quite dark, so I turned around at that point instead of going for 5 minutes more as I usually would. It was full dark by the time I reached the house again, but I got in 30 minutes of walk. After yesterday and today I'm down 30 minutes on my goal of 40 minutes a day since arriving here (an unofficial goal -- I read once that after 30 minutes you stop burning muscle and start burning fat, so 40 minutes has a more dramatic effect). If I can find an hour tomorrow I'll make most of that up.

Oddly enough, I expect my eating will be better tomorrow than today -- we're not going anywhere and the meals will be balanced!

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!

No comments: