Friday, November 18, 2005

Exercise at last

It wasn't anything fabulous, but I got out and walked hard for 40 minutes today. I came so close to wimping out; I went to bed too late last night and I drove to Huntsville early today so I was tired. I didn't go right after Huntsville; I had some work I really needed to get done first. But shortly after lunch Cecilia was asleep and the kids were playing, and when I started thinking about napping I motivated myself to get up and get moving because I didn't want to have to admit to you all that I had the opportunity and didn't take it!

Julie, I'm going to join you on the exercise challenge. I don't know how I'll do next Friday because we're on the road again but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm like you -- if I give myself permission to exercise only four or five days in a week, I try to take my off days at the beginning and then I find myself late in the week and I've missed more days than I meant to. I have to aim for seven. It's sort of the reverse of #2 on Oprah's list -- if I can't take off just ONE day then I shouldn't take any off at all. #2 is the bane of my diet -- I'm better off swearing off all sweets than trying to eat them in moderation. #7 is what we're here for -- we've been talking about that since we started this blog, though it's hard to get my head around it. I still need to lose weight, so that keeps me coming back here -- how will I feel if I ever reach the "maintenance" stage, I wonder?

Food: I had a nonfat latte and half a largeish blueberry muffin at Starbucks for breakfast. For lunch I had ham lunchmeat on white bread (I asked -- MIL really didn't have any wheat bread, and the other lunch option was that macaroni casserole which would have been higher fat and still not whole grain). We had dinner at Daniel's UAH host's house, and it was yummy -- steak, mashed potatoes (with the skins in them, very flavorful and good), green beans, squash and zucchini (with probably a lot of butter or something; they were way too good to be healthy), and a croissant (those refrigerator dough kind). I kept all my portions reasonable in size. But I also had a glass of sherry and a small glass of merlot and two small slices of cheesecake with blueberries and other stuff (granola?) on top (Mary didn't want to eat hers and I couldn't bear to see it go to waste -- this is one of those situations I need to train myself to resist!). During the day I ate a small handful of cashews, a handful of chocolate covered raisins, and several Dove chocolates (another item I need to train myself to resist!). I think tomorrow I will carefully count how much chocolate I consume -- if I'm counting I get horrified at how much it is and I slow down.

Tomorrow is the Alabama-Auburn football game so there will be a lot of food around all day. And a lot of crazy, obsessed people (glad I never get that way! *ahem*...). Maybe I should leave for a walk around 1 and come back at bedtime?

No comments: