Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Yummy Yam Chips

I love the Fat Flush Cookbook. It is a great source for healthy, low fat, low carb (but NOT carb-free) receipes. The chick who created Fat Flush (Ann Louise Gittleman) seems to really know stuff about food - and she is great at including herbs and spices for the affect it has on your body - and not just how they taste. She actually IS a nutritionist - not just someone who wants to jump on the diet band wagon. Anyway, I have the cookbook here at work - and I just flipped to a recipe that sounded really good.

2 small yams or sweet potatoes (cut in 1/8 slices)
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t onion powder

In a self sealing bag mix the spices and shake with the potato slices. Place the slices on a non stick baking tray sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about 1/2 an hour at 425 degrees. Turn at least once. They are done when they are slightly golden. You can sprinkle lightly with salt if you think you can aford the sodium.

She also suggests trying this with "sweeter" spices - anise, fennel, cinnamon, nutmeg... or kick it up a notch (hee hee) with some cayenne.

Emily - something like this would be a good subsitute for your corn chips. The nutrition websites all seem to say we should eat "orange" vegetables once a week. This would count.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I don't eat corn chips because I like them especially -- I eat them because they're a healthier substitute for worse chips or popcorn, especially if I eat the baked ones. I count them as a starch and I eat them when I'm wanting something more fun than a piece of toast. Daniel loves salty snacks and hates sweet potatoes (in any form, from what I can tell) so this wouldn't really work as a substitute for him.

That said, I think these sound really yummy, so I'll have to try them for themselves!