Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Breaking the 20 pound mark

If I could just get below 138 on a weigh-in day, I could get myself another reward! But of course yesterday I was .2 pounds over, and today, naturally, I was .2 pounds under. Frustrating. So my goal this week is to STAY below 138 every day.

Yesterday was good. Since we started the nighttime snacking challenge, I've discovered that when I plan my snacks, it's easy to stick with it. I run into problems, though, when my plan becomes so second nature that I don't really think about the plan, and then when I'm faced with goodies lying around I tend to overeat because I haven't planned that particular day. Does that make sense? So even when it's second nature, I still need to make it an active thought. Yesterday's food was oatmeal for breakfast, an orange for snack, yogurt, crackers, and an apple for lunch, another orange and string cheese for snack, ravioli (3/4 of a serving) and salad for dinner, and my plan was to have a tablespoon of chocolate chips for an evening treat. I was SO looking forward to them and put off snacking through an otherwise icky evening--we started Connor on a 30 day course of antibiotics yesterday for his sinus infection that won't go away, so I had to give him four different medications at bedtime, but even these and two vaporizers going in his room didn't stop him from coughing until he vomited at bedtime (as soon as he's horizontal, his congestion gets worse) so instead of exercising at 10:00, I was cleaning up a bedroom and a child and doing laundry. Fortunately he was really tired (he was so miserable and cute--even before I finished making his bed up with clean sheets he was climbing in it to sleep) so he was settled by 10:30. Then I did the dishes, did two pilates workouts (abs and 20 minute Maximum Burn), made Claire's lunch and filled out flex account reimbursement forms--all this time thinking of those chocolate chips as my reward for getting all this other stuff done.

You know where this is going, right? The chocolate chips were nowhere to be found. I pulled everything out of the freezer and didn't find them, swearing under my breath about a husband who pigs out on stuff while I'm out of town. So instead I had three of the Girl Scout Lemon Cooler cookies, which weren't nearly as good but at least had the same calorie count. I found out later that Brian had moved the chocolate chips to the basement freezer. Why didn't he move the french fries instead? They take up more room and we only use them about twice a month!

I also forgot to post about Claire's comment on Sunday. Ever since I was pregnant with Connor, she's liked to pat my belly (first for saying hi to the baby, and since then because it was so jiggly). She was doing it again on Sunday night and said "Mommy, you're really getting skinny!" You've gotta love it when your seven year old comments on your weight loss! But it was the nicest compliment I've received since losing this weight!

No comments: