Sunday, January 15, 2006

An almost good day

After all these days of stuffing myself on junk food, today wasn't half bad! I don't recall hitting the candy bag all day. I did go out to Ben & Jerry's (now that the Ice Cream Crank is closed -- *sniff*) but I only had a single scoop (which is probably a gazillion calories anyway, but two scoops would have been two gazillion, so it could have been worse). And for dessert tonight I had one malted milk brownie. That was it for the junk. I had waffles and bacon for breakfast (OK, so maybe that wasn't it for the junk), one and a half waffles with I think two strips of bacon (might have been only one, but that would have been unusual restraint on my part), and milk to drink. I had a snack of some almonds, and I had some OJ to drink, and then for dinner I had taco soup (the remains of the batch) with a small portion of chips. I'm still very full from dinner, too. No lunch because breakfast was so late. I guess B&J was lunch.

Yesterday I ate badly all day, though. I don't remember every last detail. I had my usual breakfast and I had lunch of yogurt, I think. For dinner I had chicken with broccoli and rice, made with fat free mayo and half brown rice (we finished up the white box, and I replaced it with white), so that wasn't so bad. But I was into the candy bag a bunch, and I ate some gouda for a snack, which isn't a very healthy cheese. But, you know, except for the candy, I didn't do as badly as I thought I did!

Yesterday I did Pilates in the afternoon and it kicked my butt! I was already pretty grouchy because I tried to do it when all three kids were underfoot, so Mary and Xander wanted to do it, too, and Cecilia wanted to be anywhere I needed to be next, so I missed the beginning of every move because I was moving her out of the way, which made her mad. And she was tired as it was -- I was trying to convince her to make her nap later -- so she was pretty miserable. And Mary had a thousand things to say, as usual, so I kept missing the directions and having to yell at her to shut up, and back up the DVD or just fudge it (more often the latter). And then I was terrible because I have no flexibility -- I can't straighten my legs at an angle or straight up in the air, let alone do some of those other moves! Then Cecilia finally had had it, so I paused the DVD and put her to bed. When I got down 30 minutes later I started the video again and there were 11 seconds left. Seriously. What a waste.

Today I'm sore in my abs and quads and hamstrings and shoulder blades, so something good probably happened from all that. I'm not going to give up on them yet. But I'm not feeling very nice about them.

Today I missed the childcare hours at the gym (too busy getting ice cream) so I sent Daniel off on his own and pulled out the Walk DVD, which all three kids can do with me. It's the first time I've done it with the stretchie (and I made rubber band stretchies for Mary and Alexander) and I was amazed how much it added to the workout! I didn't use handweights otherwise but I still broke a good sweat. I just wished they had used the stretchie more. I did the two mile walk, and then my half-pint personal trainer said we needed to do the one mile, too, so I did that as well. 45 minutes is a pretty good workout even if the one mile is wimpy, and I was tired afterwards.

As weekends go, this is my best one in a month or more, but I have a long way to go until I really feel like I'm on top of this lifestyle again!

No comments: