Friday, January 06, 2006

Falling apart at the end of the day

This is a real problem for me, too. Today I was very good again all day; I had my usual breakfast, and lunch of yogurt and a tiny bit of macaroni and cheese. I had snacks of almonds, a banana, and a cookie (one of the lebkuchen, which aren't so awful), and I ate my last Godiva chocolate and half a roll of Butter Rum Life Savers (what's wrong with my kids that they don't like this flavor???). But around 4 or so I started sneaking into the candy -- a couple of gummy bears at first, and then two or three chocolates from my stocking. (Why do I do that, when I would really enjoy a clementine more anyway?) Then I went to the gym, and I didn't snack when I got back, but I went to my stamping night and ate two small slices of pepperoni pizza and then lost all restraint in front of the candy bowl -- I think I had about six of teeny milky ways, and one or two Mr. Goodbars. Then I came home and had chips and M&Ms and several more chocolates from my stocking; I've lost count! I know it's bad when I don't count.

I hardly had any fruit or veggies today and I had nothing healthy at all after about two o'clock. I have a rotten headache that's been plaguing me a good part of the day (except when I was at the gym) and that's probably part of the reason I'm overeating, but if I'd eat better maybe I wouldn't have such a headache.

I did exercise today; we went to the gym and did 40 minutes on the bikes again. I set it at level 7 and my heart rate was so reasonable all the way through (hooray) that I pushed it to level 8 for the last quarter, which was a mistake because my heart rate went too high almost right away. The routine we do has a series of eight peaks -- you build up to the first four (small, large, medium, large), and then the second four (large, medium, large, small) start you at the top and ease off. During the second half my heart rate peaks about two segments after the absolute top, at which point the intensity of the workout is already lessening so there's no point in dropping the level back down. I shouldn't have pushed the level up to 8, but I didn't know that in advance, and then it was too late to matter. I burned 334 calories and biked 11.98 miles (very annoying -- I wanted to make it to 12!) so I got an intense workout.

I've been aching today from the leaf raking (possibly one source of the headache). I really do need to do more upper body work!

No comments: