Tuesday, January 24, 2006

146.5

And that was with a second weigh-in. I was 147.0 the first time, but I gave it a couple of minutes and tried again. I wasn't expecting a loss this week, but I was hoping to avoid the full pound gain! I ate so poorly all week, especially on Sunday, so I'm paying for it now.

Yesterday we went to the gym. On Saturday I had declared that I was bored with just riding the bikes, so Daniel suggested weight training to shake things up a bit, and I have to say the time went by a lot faster! We did 15 minutes on the bikes to start out -- that time flies by when you're used to 45 -- and then did all the upper body machines on the circuit. Next time I'm going to skip a few of them; their triceps and biceps machines just didn't do it for me, and the lateral raises machine was completely awkward. I'm going to do those with free weights instead. But today my obliques are sore and my shoulder blades are stiff -- we worked hard!

I did sit down and work out a food plan yesterday, and I actually stuck to it. I am allowing myself a very small dessert after lunch and dinner; I really crave something sweet, but usually just a few bites is sufficient, so by making a plan I can stick to that instead of eating something huge. We changed our dinner plan yesterday -- we were supposed to have beef stew, but then I couldn't find the stew meat (found it an hour later, too late to make the stew) and our gym time interfered, so we had tomato soup and sandwiches instead. But instead of a whole sandwich I had the leftover grilled chicken (half a piece) and a piece of grilled bread (I figure it's the same thing as toast, but the margarine goes on in the wrong order). Anyway, I had that dinner with a tiny piece of cherry pie for dessert (was going to be a piece of chocolate, but I had a half a starch food to spare, and the cherries aren't unhealthy, and then it still qualifies as a sweet) -- does it count as a divergence if we just replace one small dessert item with another?

The rest of my food for yesterday was my usual breakfast, tuna and toast for lunch with milk to drink and a small cookie for dessert, and snacks of raisins, carrots, almonds, and pretzels. So I actually got a couple of vegetables yesterday, between the soup and the carrots. Today will be even better.

Today I'm planning on my usual breakfast, lunch of yogurt and toast, dinner of beef roast (cleaning out the freezer), baked potato, green beans, and salad, a cookie and a piece of pie (tiny) for desserts, and snacks of canteloupe, carrots, green pepper slices, almonds, and grapes. (I went grocery shopping yesterday -- now I'm loaded up with healthy snacks! Canteloupe and grapes are on sale this week, hooray!) I'm going to do a 30 minute Walk this afternoon.

I'm not counting calories as such -- I'm sort of keeping the Jenny Craig equivalents in the back of my head, based on the booklet I mooched off Amy years ago. So I'm aiming for five vegetables (ha), two to three fruits, five or so starches, two or three dairy, and some protein that I don't count carefully. Plus I'm allowing myself some fats and sweets, which I never did when I really followed it closely; I figure I can sneak those in with the nursing calories and still lose weight a bit. We'll see if this works as of next week -- I'm going to try to be good for the full week!

No comments: