Monday, January 23, 2006

Gluttony

Yesterday Daniel's post-doc Micah and his girlfriend Trisha, who just recently moved to Blacksburg, volunteered to babysit for us while we went to dinner and a movie, so we took advantage of that. We saw "King Kong" and ate a very large amount of popcorn, and I even allowed myself lemonade instead of water. Then we went to Outback (it was close and I had a gift card) and I couldn't even think about having a steak, let alone a bloomin' onion, so I had grilled shrimp and veggies over rice with water to drink, and half a Caesar salad (it came with the meal -- otherwise I would have even skipped the salad). Even though I chose a vaguely healthy option for dinner I still ate too much. And when we got home Micah and Trisha had dessert and port waiting for us, so I had a small slice of cherry pie and a glass of port. This morning I feel hungover-ish, though in a food sort of way instead of alcohol. If that makes any sense. I am seriously regretting my food intake yesterday! I did start the day with my usual breakfast (not even waffles) but I didn't eat a proper lunch, either -- just junk.

The rest of the weekend was not particularly good but not as awful as it could have been. On Saturday night we had grilled chicken over a lightly dressed salad, and for Saturday lunch I had one very small slice of pizza. But my snacks were irregular all day. I don't remember specifically. I'm sure I could have done much better.

Today, thanks to the challenge, my eating will be better. I still have to write down what my foods are going to be. Let's see, if we don't deviate from our plan, we can win, right? So I'm going to plan to have half a pizza for lunch, chocolate all afternoon, beer and popcorn for dinner, and a bottle of Riesling for dessert. Sound good? (Ugh. It might sound good if I hadn't eaten so poorly yesterday!) OK, you can blame Daniel for that food plan, anyway -- he's the one who came up with it.

I missed one day of exercise, I think Friday?, after my small streak, and then on Saturday morning I went to the gym and did 45 minutes on the bike. Needless to say, I did not exercise yesterday. Today I will go to the gym later this afternoon.

Why, oh, why do I let myself go the way I did yesterday? Ugh, ugh, ugh!

No comments: