Friday, January 13, 2006

Hmmm...

I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill Wed and Thurs doing one of the speed and incline programs that said I burned 240 calories each session, and I ate reasonably well, and today I gained a pound. What's up with that?!?! Having said that, I've also noticed about a two day lag in the effects of poor eating, so maybe it'll take 2 days for the good efforts to show up as well. If I eat poorly, the weight gain shows up two days later. So tomorrow's weight will be the test of that theory.

Here's my 2 cents on WW--Weightwatchers points just give you a different measurement system for assessing the ratio of calories, fat and fiber in foods for a given quantity. It seems snappy at first, and you start thinking in points very quickly. Certain foods count for zero so they can be eaten at any time--most non-starch vegetables and non-creamy condiments--but WW does not take into account sodium or some of the other nutritional items that do matter. Like one thing on the zero points list is ketchup. Well, there is so much sugar and salt in ketchup I do not count that as being even remotely nutritional in my mind. For my weight, I was given 22 points per day as my target, with 35 additional "flex" points per 7 day week. Well, if you use those at all, you will not lose weight. Also, you can stay within the points value and still not lose because it depends on what you are eating. Having tried it, I personally think it is better to be conscientious about the overall quality and nutritional value of the food you eat as opposed to collapsing all that down into a point value. Plus to use their website it is $17 per month. I found that I was not eating a very balanced diet when I was trying to use their system--I lacked protein in a big way, and ate too many carbs even though I was meeting my points allowance. The mypyramid site is much better for assessing how balanced your day is.

No comments: