Sunday, January 22, 2006

Weekend update

After a bingeful Friday night, I think I have had a pretty good weekend. Granted, I binged on corn chex cereal Friday night, so that wasn't the same as eating 100 cookies or chips or something like that, but I did eat too much and I knew it once I did it because I was not feeling good. I think part of that was guilt from knowing why I binged--I was so ticked off at Joe for staying at work until 8 pm when I thought he'd be home at 7 to spend the evening with me.

So Saturday I had a whole wheat bagel for breakfast with a banana, a salad for lunch and then Joe & I ate at Pizza Hut for dinner. Sunday was nearly the same food-wise execpt the order--oatmeal for breakfast with a banana, pizza for lunch and then a salad for dinner.

So how am I feeling successful while still eating at Pizza Hut? Well, I didn't over eat either time I had it. 2 small pieces each day and 2 breadsticks at the store and 1 at home. I added up everything in my pyramid tracker and I came out around 1300 calories each day. Add to that the fact that I exercised for 30 minutes on the treadmill both days, and today I added some pilates in the afternoon(again, only what I can remember since I can't work the tv without a remote.)

I tried to step up my exercise today on the treadmill but I dropped back to my usual program when my right knee really started hurting. I don't want to incapacitate myself.

Joe's mom stopped by today and caught us up on the status of her gastric bypass surgery. Let me honestly say how annoyed I am at her for taking this route. I feel like it's the "easy" way out, even though I know it is major surgery. It truly annoys me. She has to see a nutritionist for 6 consecutive months for him to document her weight issues and her diet failures so that the insurance company will pick up the tab on the surgery. So this doctor laid out a diet for her, and Joe asks her, "oh, so you are going to try that first?" Well...she said basically the dr suggests a diet and exercise program and she PURPOSELY doesn't follow it so the failure is "obvious" and the insurance company will pay. That REALLY annoys me. All she kept saying was how she'd still be able to eat whatever she wanted after the surgery, just in smaller quantities. Well, seriously--isn't moderation the whole point even without surgery? And there's something like a 15-20% chance that she'll gain all the weight she loses back. It all seems extremely lazy to me. Then again I struggle to lose 5 lbs. It's all in the perspective, I'm sure. I'm telling myself my victory will be greater since I did it myself without someone slicing me open and physically altering how my body works.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Does Joe's mom know the risks of this surgery, not to mention the restrictions afterwards? I know a couple of people who had it--two of Brian's cousins had the surgery two years ago. One was quite successful, but the other one had serious problems recovering and continues to have intestinal/digestive problems now. Another woman I know had the surgery about two months ago, and while she HAS lost weight in the last two months (btw, she was really good about following the dietician's recommendations for diet and exercise and was still unable to lose weight in advance of the surgery) she is only now just beginning to add solid food into her diet. Not only are you on a restricted diet after the surgery, but you have to puree all of your food for a couple of months! The problem with Brian's cousin was she didn't have the self-control to keep up with the limited pureed diet and ended up damaging her stomach and intestines. So if your MIL is unwilling/unable to control her intake now, how is she going to like it when she has to throw her bologna sandwiches in the blender before drinking them? Yuck. I'll happily eat yogurt and whole wheat crackers every day for lunch to lose weight and avoid pureed pizza. Bleah.

Emily said...

Daniel's SIL also had the surgery (she was the ideal candidate) and has been extremely successful with it -- but her ability to digest sugar has been drastically reduced, so for the first year she could have no sugar-sweetened foods of any kinds and had to be extremely cautious about what natural sugars she took in. It was worse than the Atkins diet -- very low carbs, but she still had to be careful about proteins and fats as well. And she still has to follow a careful diet. It was not an easy road and I would not recommend it lightly! Your MIL is in for a shock, I'm afraid.

Julie S said...

I get the feeling she thinks her life will be just like it is now--no boundaries--but that she'll be forced to eat less. I don't think she is factoring in feeling sick or anything like that. She's been meeting with a support group as well, so she has to have heard some of these things. I guess time will tell.

Katie said...

My best friend's brother went into cardiac arrest on the table as they were doing the surgery. Needless to say, he took a while to recover. And has had to eat all liquids for the past several months now. I'm with Sarah--give me cottage cheese and triscuts, I'll pass on the pureed diet.