Monday, February 06, 2006

Huh?

On Saturday I posted a long entry, mostly about my frustration at still being at a pretty low fitness level in spite of four or five months of regular exercise, and now it's gone. The entry, that is. I know it was here--after posting it I was reading through it and thought I should have chosen a different color because everyone recently has been posting in green--but by Saturday afternoon I couldn't find it, so I looked in the list of posts to see if it had somehow changed it to a draft and it's not there either! I'm so irritated!

But the gist of it was that on Friday I tried a new workout on the treadmill that has you doing intervals of two minutes each at 2% incline--first at 4 m.p.h. and then at 6 m.p.h. and you keep that up for 40 minutes. I kept it up for eight minutes. Six m.p.h. gets my heart rate up to a dangerous level (upper 170s), so I kept scaling back the workout, first lowering the speed down to 5.5 m.p.h., then 5.3 m.p.h., then I lowered the incline, then I gave up entirely and just jogged the rest of the time at 4.7 to 5 m.p.h. OTOH, the "beginner" version would be too little for me (40 minutes at 3.5 m.p.h.) so at least I'm a little beyond that. But I don't know how to improve my stamina.

Also on Friday I did the pilates ball workout. It was o.k., not great. Some of the moves you could tell were really contrived--you could almost hear the designers sitting around a table saying "how can we take this perfectly good pilates move and change it so that you can do it with a ball?" But other parts, especially the side kick series, were a lot tougher with the ball and overall the cool thing was that you had to do each move perfectly so that the ball wouldn't move around a lot.

Swimming on Saturday didn't involve much swimming. Claire didn't want to go into the regular pool--she stayed in the large wading pool the whole time, except for two trips down the HUGE slide. The first time down she loved it, but the second time down she got dumped from her inner tube (as did I on the other slide) and went under and I had to fish her out. She was fine, but scared, and didn't want to go back in.

On Saturday we also woke up and discovered that our DVD player was broken. It looks fine, but won't play any DVD's. Since I can't do any of my home workouts without it, Amy let me borrow her portable DVD player on Sunday but I never got around to doing anything on Sunday because of a series of mishaps on the way home. I stopped at the grocery store to pick some stuff up on my way home, and as I was getting out of my car, the car next to me ran into me (he was backing out of his space, didn't see me and ran into the back side of my car). So we got out and exchanged insurance information, but in the process of doing so, the wind (which was really gusty) blew my door closed, leaving me outside of the car and my purse and phone and keys INSIDE the locked car! Do you know how awkward it is to borrow the phone of the guy who just hit your car so that you can call someone to rescue you? Anyway, Brian came and it was at that point 7:00 and we were hungry, so we went to the Macaroni Grill for dinner. Superbowl Sunday is a good day to go to a restaurant--no waiting and no one to be bothered by your kids. But it wasn't very good for my diet. Up until then I had been really well behaved all weekend, and actually I wasn't really bad at the restaurant, but it was a lot more food than I normally eat, even though what I ordered (grilled balsamic honey chicken, angel hair pasta with sundried tomatoes, and steamed broccoli) was pretty healthy overall. But there was a lot of it. There were three chicken breasts (I ate one), probably two cups of pasta (I ate half) and only two spears of broccoli. And I had a beer. But my weight this morning is the same as it was on Saturday morning, so I guess that's not too bad.

6 comments:

Julie S said...

I read your post about the intervals. It really was there...

Sarah said...

OK, so I'm not nuts!! I wonder how it disappeared like that?

Emily said...

Even weirder -- if you do a search on the blog (I searched for "interval") it shows up and you can read it! It's just not the list, for some reason!

Sarah said...

That's so strange! I managed to post a ghost entry! I checked to make sure it wasn't dated February 2005 or something and thus would be found way back at the beginning chronologically, but all the dates and times are correct. Very weird.

Emily said...

I wrote to the blogger people and after the canned response of RTFM (which failed to serve) they said, basically, that all their outages this weekend have caused a number of weird problems, and they're very sorry, blah, blah, blah. Oh, well!

Sarah said...

Not beinga computer guru, I had to look up RTFM. Oh my, such language! ;-)

I'm glad the problems this weekend weren't just with me! Thanks for checking into it!