Tuesday, February 21, 2006

My own goals

My original goal, as Amy stated, was to reach 135 pounds, my marriage weight. After looking at BMI and healthy body calculators I think my new goal, after I get there, is going to be 130 pounds, and then to maintain a weight within two pounds of that either direction, I hope indefinitely. That would put me smack in the middle of the ideal weight range for my height.

I have lost a lot of weight in five and a half months, and I have also made exercise a consistent part of my life in that time (weeks like this past one notwithstanding). I have three days a week where the exercise is pre-scheduled. That also makes it much easier to make myself exercise on the "off" days, so in a normal week I'm getting four to five days of exercise now. I need to make it my goal to get that to a consistent five days, and to work more of a strength element into that. I am stronger than I was last summer because I'm more fit overall, but I haven't really focused on that. I need to figure out how to do strength and cardio on the same day!

My eating is better than it used to be in that I am much more aware of what I'm eating and when, though more often than not that doesn't stop me from eating foods I shouldn't! I frequently offer Mary her choice of snacks, and she chooses fruit over a cookie at least half the time -- but I don't! I should make it my rule that if Mary doesn't eat it, I don't, either. In some ways my food choices have improved -- I have cut out about 90% of the macaroni and cheese lunches (but I always sneak a bite or two) in favor of whole grains, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches have become a rarity, as I usually choose lean lunchmeat sandwiches -- only sometimes with cheese -- or yogurt and toast. My breakfasts didn't really need improving, and my dinners have hardly changed. My snacking changed, but it has changed back. So my goal on this needs to be to change my snacks back!

Sorry for all the boring self-analysis! I just have to remind myself that I have made progress aside from the weight loss, but that there's still room to improve. I do know I'm going to have to keep blogging my health for the rest of my life, or all my bad habits will creep back in.

No comments: