Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Goals and new goals

My original goal was to get down to 140, my pre-pregnancy weight. My ultimate goal was to get and keep my weight in the 130 to 135 range. As of today, that's where I am (just barely). But now my goals are more specific--I want to get rid of that damn belly fat (ugh! It's much better than before, but I predicted when I was 140ish that it would go away around 130, and I don't think that's true anymore. I think a lot of it is stretched out skin, not fat, and is here to stay.) and to improve my running so I can keep up a steady pace of 5 m.p.h. or higher for 30 minutes. That's not a real stretch (I can easily do 4.8 m.p.h. and break into 5.2 to 5.3 for three or four minutes at a time), so once I get up to that, I'll set a new goal. Three miles in 30 minutes might be that one, but I don't know if a 37 year old who was never a very good runner could do that. My best pace, back when I was rowing, was 5 miles in an hour.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Sure, you can do that! My best was 6 miles in an hour back when Daniel and I did so much running. It actually helped us to have 5k races to prepare for -- our goal each time was to do better than the last, and gradually I got just under 30 minutes for a race, if I'm remembering correctly. I know I could do 6mph because I had to be able to, to enter the Peachtree. I feel like I could get that back if I didn't have such a bounce problem! And since you've always been the athletic one -- if I could do it, so can you.

Daniel beat 30 minutes for a 5k in October, so he is successfully getting it back -- but it's a lot easier when you're a guy!