Monday, May 08, 2006

Test Kitchen - part 2

This time I am not making samples of desserts - thank goodness. I AM doing sample snacks. I just did one so far. This is a variation of one of my favoirte snacks I used to do when I was on Jenny Craig. It is a mini pizza. I made it on a whole wheat tortilla (120 calories) with 1/8 cup organic spagetti sauce (22.5 calories) and 1/8 cup low fat shredded cheese (40 calories). You assemble it like a pizza, put it in the toaster oven for about 5 minutes and you have a little snack pizza.

My next idea I haven't tested yet. I was craving some of those honey mustard pretzels today (someone at work had a bag on her desk). I want to try a variation on that - flavoring them myself. Whole wheat pretzels are fat free and 120 calories per serving. My idea is to beat an egg white with mustard powder, a little bit of brown sugar and perhaps some cinnamon or garlic - or other spices. Or maybe molassas instead of the sugar... anyway. I want to shake the pretzels in a plastic bag with the goop and then (again in the toaster oven) bake them until they have dried out. I haven't tested this yet - but it seems like a good idea.

Another snack - which isn't really creative - is Reese Peanut Butter Puff cereal (not for you Sarah). That is one of the few cereals I can eat dry. 3/4 of a cup is 120 calories. It is whole grain and a nice balance of crunchy and sweet. (Good substitute for cookies.)

The Glucerna menus that Katie and I used to do had a trail mix snack that we liked a lot. It was a blend of crasins, almonds and mini chocolate chips. I don't know the calorie count on that at all.

I didn't go to the gym today. I intended to come home and make Katie go for a walk with me. But, when I got home Katie said she didn't want to exercise she wanted to take a bath instead - so that is where she is. It is gloomy out - so I don't really want to walk alone. I guess I will do my walking video since we still haven't moved the tables in the living room. Sigh.

No comments: