Monday, May 08, 2006

Just testing

This weekend Katie and I decided that we wanted to do a triathlon. How's that for a goal? Not a long one, just one of the short Danskin ones that's half mile swim, 11 mile bike ride, 5K run. And not soon, either. There's one in September that we're NOT going to do, although in reality I think we probably could if we put our minds to it, but I guess not if she's going to be in Vienna for five weeks. Anyway, we're aiming for next year, probably the same time of year. So we have nearly a year and a half to train for this.

I checked race results from previous years and it looks like in my age group, the winners usually finish up in about an hour and 20 minutes. Slowest finishers are right at three hours. I'm aiming for somewhere in between the one extreme and the other. But I have no idea what my current abilities are, so at the gym just now I gave it a try. Obviously not the whole thing (didn't have a bathing suit with me anyway) but I just wanted to know if I was even capable of running 3.1 miles and then getting on a bicycle (although I guess I should have done it in the other order). I'm happy to report that I don't think I'd drop dead if I went to do a triathlon tomorrow, although I might very well drown. I ran the 3.1 miles in 37 minutes (including a 2 minute warmup at 4.5 m.p.h.; ran the rest at 5 m.p.h.) and then hopped on a bike and did another 3 miles in seven minutes before I had to stop so I could get back to the office. I think I could have kept going another eight miles, but I wouldn't have been at all happy at the end. Of course if I had started this all off with 32 laps in the pool I may well not have been able to even run the 3.1 miles.

So I have a ways to go, but I think it's doable. Not looking forward to the swimming part. I never was much of a swimmer.

Anyone want to join us? Amy has already said that she thinks we're nuts. Brian says he'd rather get hit with sticks, but he's a boy so no one invited him.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I think I would rather be hit with sticks too... At least at the end of the gambit the Indians would let you in their tribe. Of course, the scarring would be terrible.

Emily said...

I can handle the first two components separately -- I've swum a half mile each of the last two Fridays, and I do 12.5 miles on the exercycle regularly (and 11 on the Huckleberry the one time). But I don't like to run because I bounce so much. (Of course, I might be plodding by that point!) If I can find a good, supportive bra I might be able to do the third part, and then it's a matter of putting them all together. In short, yes, I'm a bit interested, but it depends on my ability to find appropriate attire!

Amy said...

I just ordered two sports bras that are not One size fits most- or S, M, L. They came in big boob sizes. I ordered one underwire and one wire free. They are Just My Size bras and only $12 each on One Hanes Place. I don't know what kind of support they give. There were several other styles to choose from - including much more expensive High Impact bra styles. I will let you know what I think of what I get.

Sarah said...

Emily--did you ever try Title 9 Sports? http://www.titlenine.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=479

Or get on a running messageboard and ask other women what they use.

Emily said...

That "Last Resort" bra at Title 9 looks pretty impressive, though I don't know if I trust the multi-sizing of it. It might be worth the money if it really works, but that's more than I pay for my mega-strong everyday bras. Thanks for the link!

Emily said...

The Just My Size bras don't seem to come in my band size. Phooey. I was hoping for a low-cost option before I had to go to a specialty store. :-(

Sarah said...

I guess I see it as a necessary expense for having to deal with something that isn't dead-average about yourself. Kind of like you can't get shoes at Payless if you have a narrow foot. You don't give up going out of the house because it's hard to find inexpensive shoes that fit, or buy only flip flops and deal with the walking restrictions imposed by only having flip flops to wear, right?

I know there are a million holes in that logic, but the idea is the same--when you have something in your life that isn't average, you have to make accomodations to deal with it. I guess one accomodation would be to just not run, but I think spending some extra money once to see if you can solve the problem makes sense.

Amy said...

I don't believe it is possible to eliminate bounce on large chests. I don't think it can be done. I got my bras today - and they are comfortable, have more base for support, and stuff - but when I bounce up and down, I still bounce. Maybe it is the fact that my whole torso still has a layer of fat. If I was all muscle then MAYBE my boobs wouldn't slide up and down - BUT, as it is - I still bounce. I don't care HOW tightly you squish me down gravity still works!! Anyway - I do like my new bras though.