Friday, May 05, 2006

I made it!

To the gym, that is--30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday!

Food was great, except that I had to indulge in sugar to make up for being surrounded by idiots yesterday. Seriously--I went to Wal Mart to get triaminic for Connor, but of course triaminic is now a controlled substance and you have to take the little shelf card to the pharmacy to get the stuff. I was in line behind two people--one woman being rung up (prescription and then a million other little things) and another woman holding nothing. As I was waiting, the phamacist came over and started turning out the lights. They were closing the pharmacy for a half an hour for their break and told us all to come back at 2:00. I nearly ripped a few heads off, and considered sliding over the counter to get the triaminic (which was RIGHT BEHIND the pharmacist as he was telling us all to go away--I asked if he could just give me this one thing, told him that this was my break too and no I couldn't come back at 2:00, but he walked away. Jerk.). The cashier eventually dealt with me because I think she knew they were dealing with a crazy lady who had only slept for three hours. So anyway, I bought bottle caps (straight sugar, but at least only 60 calories per serving, which would be great if you just ate one serving, but I ate five).

The rest of my food yesterday was cereal, coffee, almonds, string cheese, pretzles, an orange, an apple, and ravioli. And I tested my snack submission last night (and again for breakfast this morning). I'll submit it now, but I'm still tweaking. It's a modified version of the Pampered Chef apple berry salsa with cinnamon chips. The original recipe has you sprinkling tortillas with cinnamon sugar and baking them, then making salsa with apples, strawberries, kiwi, an orange, brown sugar, and apple jelly (here's the original recipe: http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/pampered-chef-recipes/apple-berry-salsa.htm). But that takes too long and has too much sugar. What I did last night was chop up a couple of strawberries, sprinkled them with a tiny bit of lime juice (skip that if you don't like tart), cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar mixture if the strawberries aren't really ripe), and mint. Then I toasted a tortilla until it was pretty crisp, then ate the two together. It was kind of like strawberry shortcake because the tortilla is so bland and the strawberries so sweet. It was good, though, so I'll probably keep making it. And it comes in under 100 calories--80 for the tortilla, then I used two large strawberries for the salsa (12 calories total), plus a tiny bit for the sugar if you use that (this morning I used 1/8 tsp. of sugar, which is another 2 calories). Two large strawberries gives you 36% of your vitamin C for the day, plus fiber in the berries and tortilla (use whole wheat). I considered this morning making it into a breakfast burrito by just warming the tortilla and smearing on light cream cheese with the strawberry mixture. That would add another 35 calories (for one tablespoon of low fat cream cheese). It would probably be good, but I didn't have any cream cheese. I had too much lime juice in this morning's batch; last night's was better.

No comments: