Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Same Story - different day

Today I was 208. Up a pound from last week. Considering how upset my stomach has been the past several days I am really surprised that my weight isn't lower. Oh Well. I haven't been exercising at all. So - serves me right.

I just ate Coldstone birthday cake. It is a bad time of year for birthdays - and I am not sure why I don't resist better. Maybe because it is always lunchtime and I haven't eaten yet.

Speaking of pedometers... HOW is it - even walking all over Catonsville - can Brian get 26000 steps in a day? That is 13 miles (give or take). At 3.5 miles an hour that is almost four hours of solid walking. And 3.5 mph isn't that slow for a walk. Who has time to walk that much???

And another thing??? How is it - Sarah - that you and I were at exactly the same step count on Sunday when I had been wearing mine for almost three hours longer than you (I put mine on my PJs when I first got up and I got up early on Sunday). I was doing laundry and dishes at home too! I am throwing the damn thing away! Katie - you need to check with your friend at work to find out what kind of pedometer she has - if it really does attach to her leg.

I may actually go to the gym today. Tomorrow I am REALLY meeting with the trainer at the gym.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

13 miles in a day isn't hard--it included his usual nighttime walk with Davey, then re-doing that same route twice looking for the cell phone, with extra wandering around and backtracking while sweeping the lawn of the Children's Home, plus his usual walking around during the day (which includes one short morning walk with Davey and usually one at lunchtime after getting Connor on the bus, but that one was re-running the cell phone route). His nighttime walk with Davey usually lasts about an hour and covers about three miles. So he did one hour at night, another more than an hour in the morning while I was getting ready to go to work, another hour after getting Connor on the bus, 20 minutes with Davey after getting Claire on the bus, and his usual walking around.

I don't know what was up with Sunday. I put my pedometer on at 9:30 or 10:00, but I had been up since 6:30. After putting the pedometer on I switched off the laundry twice, emptied the dehumidifier, got both kids dressed and watered the garden. And then walked around Georgetown and Columbia, of course. I know the number on the pedometer seemed about accurate for the amount of walking I had done.

I have problems with my pedometer when it's tight around my waist or on a pair of pants or a skirt with a high waist--I think it needs to be lower to detect movement, and with some waistbands, it flips over and doesn't register at all. Having it at hip level or slightly above works best. I think, like most things, they are designed for guys with their straight lines. When it's up too high on a curvy person with a short waist, it can't really feel or see leg movement.

An article on About.com about pedometer mechanisms says that the Piezo-electric pedometer mechanisms are the most accurate and work even when worn at various angles or by people with protruding stomachs. The ones we have are spring-levered--they don't need their batteries changed as often but also aren't as quiet or accurate.