Friday, December 02, 2005

It's the Girl Scouts' fault

Yesterday was a busy day because Mary had her Brownie investiture. I didn't exercise until 9:30 last night, and then I only did the 15 minute Walk, because I had other things I wanted to get to. That's barely better than not exercising, though I did use the hand weights and I broke a sweat toward the end. Normally Friday would be a gym day but today that might not work out, so I'll have to do something else.

I was in charge of the refreshments for the investiture even though I warned the leaders that I am not a good in-charge person. I had planned on making a daisy cake for Mary's birthday with the troop, since it coincided with Juliette Gordon Low's birthday. But her birthday meeting was cancelled due to football (grumble football grumble) so I didn't get to make it, and the leader said, hey! you can make it for our investiture -- turning a slap-dash decoration job into something other grown-ups might actually see. Sigh. Then they called and said, since you're making the cake, you can plan the rest of the refreshments, too. Ugh. Fortunately they gave me names and told me what food they wanted, so I was able to handle it. But it meant that instead of relaxing and enjoying the event I was worried about where to scare up the serving things we needed, and how to get the punch made quickly, since the drinks arrived late. And this meant that I spent the entire reception with an entire table of FOOD in front of me!

In the end I had a small cup of the punch (lemonade and Sprite) without even thinking about it, oops, when I'd meant to have water. I also had a few handfuls of popcorn (somebody brought Smartfood!), a smallish piece of the cake (I spent two hours making/decorating it -- I wasn't going to not EAT some), and several squares of cheese and about two bites of canteloupe. Otherwise my eating yesterday was sensible -- the usual breakfast, lunch of tuna and toast, dinner of taco soup (no tortilla chips, even), and no dessert that I recall. I had a snack of almonds for certain but I don't remember what else! Oh, I know -- several fingers-ful of icing. Ick.

Katie, I have the same problem of "mmm...that sounds good" from other people's posts. I'd love that cocoa chex mix! But I'll tell you up front that the cake was designed to look good, not taste good (it was a Funfetti cake, which has very little flavor but goes over well with the 6-to-8-year-old set, and the icing was buttercream made with butter and crisco, so not as good as the butter-only-based stuff I prefer). So don't waste time drooling over that!

No comments: