Monday, December 19, 2005

How to make terrible pancakes

1. Don't bother thawing the buttermilk. Whole milk is worse for you and makes worse pancakes.
2. Don't bother with the griddle appliance; it's too bulky! Just use a regular pan on the stove. Preheat it good and long for maximum effect.
3. Use white flour. It has less flavor than whole wheat and no nutrition.
4. Follow the recipe exactly. Look thick to you? You must be wrong! That's exactly right for bad pancakes.

Yesterday after church I didn't want to make a big breakfast, but the kids wanted something hot, and they picked pancakes. I was pleased because that takes less work than waffles. But after following my own advice, I had one inedibly burnt and undercooked pancake and about eight spongy, flavorless, slightly overdone on the outside but sticky inside pancakes. I ate two medium-sized ones and had NO desire for more (or for lunch, since it was late morning by the time I'd made these). Ugh. I wish I'd taken the time to do it properly. When Alexander asked for another pancake, I mixed a little more milk in with the scrapings of batter left in the bowl and turned the pan back on but didn't preheat it any further -- it made a lovely, thin, golden pancake. My one bite tasted very good. Sheesh.

Anyway, I also had OJ and milk at breakfast, and two slices of bacon. For dinner I had the leftover chili that was still in the fridge (and finished it up -- more space in the fridge!) with cheese on top and with a glass of milk. In between I didn't eat much at home that I can recall, but we went to Mary's pageant and there was a reception afterwards, and I ate two lebkuchen, a brownie, a few tiny squares of cheese, two smallish cups of punch (juice and ginger ale), and about two crackers and three grapes. After dinner I had two marshmallows and a handful of chocolate chips. So, all told, my eating wasn't at all good yesterday. Appalling, in fact! I need to aim for more nutrition and less junk.

I didn't exercise yesterday (though I was on my feet a lot again) but this afternoon I will. I'm babysitting a friend's kids through the afternoon, and when they leave we'll head to the gym. My weight has been hovering around what it was last week, but it has gone down about a pound in the last two days (if I'm remembering last week's weight correctly) so I might register a loss this week. Next week I won't be so lucky! Today I'm going shopping for our dinners for this weekend -- we're having fondue on Friday, lasagna on Saturday, and a turkey dinner (I wanted beef tenderloin but Mary overruled me) on Sunday. I may be huge by Tuesday!

No comments: