Sunday, December 04, 2005

I'm starting my diet tomorrow

I think it started at Halloween and got considerably worse over Thanksgiving, but somewhere along the line I must have quit watching what I eat, because now it's almost back to pre-diet levels. If I weren't exercising, my weight would be climbing rapidly. My snacks are marginally healthier than before, but I'm getting low on the good stuff and not eating enough fruit. Today I had a doughnut at church, and then a waffle and syrup and a piece and a half of bacon, plus OJ and milk, for brunch. I snacked most of the day -- almonds, then gummy bears and a couple of gummy berries and part of a waffle and I'm not sure what all. Dinner was brunswick stew with a piece of onion bread, and then I had a beer, and popcorn, and a glass of wine, and a handful of tortilla chips. Yesterday was kind of the same thing. I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself and tomorrow I'm going to try to convince myself that I'm starting the first day of a diet.

I went to the gym today and did 45 minutes on the recumbent bicycle at level 7. That bike is decidedly easier than the upright one, though it's a much more intense workout than walking. But my heart rate was still a bit higher than it was pre-Thanksgiving, so I need to work on getting back into top condition.

I'll hit the gym again tomorrow, unless there's too much snow. Does sledding count as exercise?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Of course sledding is exercise, as long as you're really sledding! The sites I looked at said that you burn between 400 and 500 calories per hour sledding--I assume that means that more than half of the time is spent trudging up a steep snowy hill carrying a sled.