Friday, February 09, 2007

Weird food, weird exercise, weird week

It sounds weird for all of us. My eating has been off this week -- I still don't feel like I'm eating terrible food because we really don't have a lot of sweets around (though yesterday I was really craving sugar, so I ate four marshmallows). The kids are having ice cream for dessert after dinner -- too much work for casual snacking -- and candy canes after lunch -- really not a temptation for me. Girl Scout cookies arrive tomorrow, though, so I may be in for a bad few weeks!

My exercise has been strange. I went to the gym as usual on Monday, and then on Wednesday I had to work out at home, as I posted, so I just did a more intense walking video. Then yesterday was my extra exercise day, but during the time I had set aside to exercise it became clear that I couldn't ignore the snow on the driveway and sidewalk any longer or they'd become truly awful, so I shoveled for 45 minutes while Mary was at Girl Scouts, then came home and shoveled for another half hour or more. And by "shovel" I mean I plowed with the shovel on the parts that weren't ice, which didn't take long, and then hacked at the ice chunks where the snow had been driven over (by at least three delivery trucks on our sidewalk, and by our car and van a half dozen times on the driveway) for what seemed like aeons. My forearms were aching last night -- I'm just surprised my back isn't killing me. It wasn't as aerobic as I'd like, but it was definitely labor.

Tonight we're back at the gym, on our usual schedule. I definitely need it! And since my extra day was only pseudo-exercise, tomorrow I'm going to work out at home. Maybe an aerobics tape -- the walking gets dull in a hurry!

Oh! And today, after this weird week of not-so-good eating and not-so-good exercise, my weight dropped another half pound. Huh.

No comments: