Thursday, February 01, 2007

Hodge podge exercise

Yesterday at the pool Mary's best friend's mom offered to watch Cecilia so I could swim laps. I started to politely decline, but then I decided that was stupid, so I went and swam for almost 15 minutes. I did arm work on Monday at the gym and it hadn't been hurting, but I could feel it in my pects when I swam! Nothing gives me as thorough of a workout as swimming. I wish I could have swum a whole mile, but I only got through 24 lengths because I didn't want to leave Sharon hanging for too long.

Since I'd already swum, I was even less enthused about going to the gym than usual. I had a 5 minute walk with the kids (and I pushed the stroller with Cecilia in it) to return some items to a friend who had babysat for us last week and left them behind, so that was about 15-20 minutes of exercise for the day. Then I did the Muscle Mile One on the WATP tape (my newer one) and that was another 15-20 minutes -- 15 of cardio and then a cooldown. The cardio workout seemed lame at first because we just held the weights forever, I thought, but just three seconds after I switched to the heavier weights out of boredom, we started lifting them over our heads, and I had to switch back in a hurry! From then on she alternated lifting the weights up and doing other exercises, so my heart really got moving through the workout. It still wasn't as much of a workout as my Monday trip to the gym was, but it wasn't bad overall.

My eating yesterday was good. I had one chocolatey cat cookie (for people) in the afternoon and that was it for actual junk food. For dinner we had spaghetti, and after dinner I did have more food, but it was still within my limits, since I'd barely eaten outside of meals before then. So I had a serving of pretzels, about six almonds (finished off the container -- I was craving salt after exercising), a banana, and a clementine. Daniel got up to get some ice cream, as he *had* been to the gym and hadn't had any dairy all day, but then he talked himself out of it and had clementines instead! I've been leaving the clementines on the counter, and we're both definitely eating them more as a result.

Nonetheless, my weight hasn't budged. Grumble. I know I shouldn't be impatient -- I've only been exercising two and a half weeks, and dieting for three days, but I still wish it would happen!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Well - that is why YOU on a Diet says it is WAIST not WEIGHT that counts. If you are reducing your fat cell size, but increasing your muscle cell size your weight won't drop as quickly as if you were JUST reducing the size of BOTH cells (with JUST calorie recuction). However, you DON'T want to reduce your muscle cell size - for many reasons.

This is what I keep telling myself anyway.