Monday, February 12, 2007

Cookie control

Yesterday I earned a total of 7 GSCs and ate every last one -- today my weight was back up to 145. But it's worth it, and I keep reminding myself that Lent is coming and that will put a full stop on the sweets.

Today I went to the gym and ran a 5k. The total time was 27:15! Yippee! At the two mile mark I was around 17:32 and at the 21-lap point I was at about 20:29, so I've knocked half a minute off my time from Friday and I still managed to keep going. Three miles was 26:28 or 26:32 or something, I think, so I really sprinted the last lap. It was a HUGE mental effort to go beyond the 21-lap point, though. I just had to remind myself over and over how much further I had to go, and I got through it. I didn't use my iPod because Daniel and I were running together for much of it, and then I was so drained I couldn't have listened to my book anyway. Oh! The way I sped up so much was that in the last 20 feet or so of the lap I'd push the pace up to a near-sprint (for me, and it got to be less of a sprint as I went on because I was so tired), and that would knock a second or two off the time and would keep the pace from dragging as I started the next lap (like getting off the interstate -- you're not going 65 anymore but you tend to go a bit fast by accident for a while). Made all the difference.

With the running and 15 minutes of bike time and some strength training time (chest press, shoulder press, and VKR) I earned 4 GSCs, which is good because I ate a cookie in advance at lunchtime. And I've had one bottle of water so far today, which isn't so good -- though I did drink from the water fountain at the gym, and I'll probably go through another bottle tonight. So, 6 cookies, and I don't know if I'll eat them all tonight -- yesterday my downfall was having started them so early!

No comments: