Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Weigh-in day, anyone?

I can't believe it's almost noon and I'm the first to post!

So I was 135.8 this morning--down only .4 from last week, in spite of the stomach virus. My downfall was candy yesterday!! There was a container of the cinnamon jelly hearts at work and I'm completely helpless around them, then I went home and there was all the leftover candy from the pinata and I just kept eating and eating! I did go to the gym at least, although that was kind of an odd experience. I was feeling really tired and not looking forward to the workout--I knew this would be one of the days when I'd be watching the timer from minute three, wondering when the torture was going to end. So I decided that I wasn't allowed to look at the timer until I got through at least four songs on my iPod. So I was jogging along and the workout wasn't feeling so bad--I was surprised that I wasn't feeling more exhausted than I was. After four songs I looked at the timer; I was almost at 15 minutes, which was really good, but I realized that the reason it was so easy was that I was still at my warm-up speed!! Normally I do a couple of minutes at 5 m.p.h. and then up the speed to 5.5 for the next 20 - 25 minutes and I just hadn't done that! Oops. I upped the speed at that point, then upped it again to 6.0 for three minutes, then 6.3 for the last three minutes. My calorie burn was down a bit, but not by much.

So I've decided to join Emily in giving up sweets for Lent. They are clearly my downfall, not just in this diet but in terms of self-control in general. My first test of this will be tomorrow. Someone went and planned the monthly "department fun lunch" followed by a birthday party for Ash Wednesday! I had planned to attend the lunch and just get a salad or some other very light thing, and I've exempted birthday cake from my list of sweets, but only for family birthdays (Amy and Connor). So we'll see if I have the strength to say no to the cake tomorrow. Why Ash Wednesday? On any other day I might be able to justify it--you don't want to not participate in someone else's celebration--but Ash Wednesday is pushing it.

No comments: