Thursday, March 02, 2006

Fasting weight

Boy, that not-eating-anything-for-24-hours has an amazing effect on your weight! I'll have to try it before a weigh in day (like maybe the Monday we return from the cruise so I won't have to admit to THAT much of a gain in a week!). This morning I weighed 132 pounds even! Of course it's a good thing I don't have a talking scale (who thought those were a good idea anyway?) because I wouldn't have been able to hear it over my growling stomach.

Yesterday I had two cups of coffee, a cup of herbal tea, a diet soda, six ounces of apple juice, and a bunch of water. By 8:30 my official 24 hours was up, so I ate a few french fries leftover from the kids' dinner, but I wanted to see if I could last until midnight for real food, and I did. At midnight I had a hard boiled egg, five crackers, and two cookies. 520 calories total for the day, give or take.

I haven't exercised since Monday, though. I haven't taken a break since Monday, and I'm not likely to today. I'm hoping that I get enough stuff accomplished today that I can get to the gym tomorrow, and of course I have my walks with Davey. They aren't aerobic (except in short bursts) but at least I'm out and moving for 40 minutes or an hour each day. They might count as resistance work, though, if you figure that pulling back on a leash for a dog who wants to run off everywhere is resistance.

Completely off topic--last night on our walk we met a 12 week old pomeranian owned by a neighbor down the street (met the neighbor, too). This thing was about as big as it's going to get, although her hair still needs to grow, and she was this itty-bitty not-quite-three pound dog, just a little fluffball that can yap loudly and jump straight up in the air on all four feet at once. What earthly use is a dog like this? Seriously, why would anyone breed a tiny dog like that? Davey made friends with her, but it's a good thing we didn't enter their yard because he could have crushed her like a bug.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

OK, I just looked up the history of the pomeranian. They are descended from spitz breeds and were originally sled dogs and then herding dogs, if you can believe it. But they were normal sized then. In the 19th century, Queen Victoria took a liking to them and started to breed them, but she liked small dogs so they bred them smaller and smaller until they became these tiny, yappy, useless dogs. They say they are good watchdogs, but I don't know that I'd feel threatened by a four pound dog, no matter how loud it is!