Monday, March 20, 2006

Counting calories

I know it is not about the weight - and the fact that I was being discouraged is another sign that it is PMS. I only seem to want to give up when it IS right around my period. I DO know I feel better - and I like that I have been exercising and eating right. I like that it is second nature now to not overeat (except yesterday at Heather's). I know it IS worth it - I just wish I WOULD drop a few pounds.

Good for you Emily to plan to do another Body Pump class. Katie and I did that last summer and it DID hurt for a while - but it also felt great! Getting you heart rate up is not the only way to exercise and burn calories. More and more I am running into articles and flyers - and nutritionists and trainers - that say that you burn more fat by building more muscles. You build more (and stronger) muscles through resistance training. The bikes are good for your legs - but what about your upper body? Also - biking is more toning than muscle building. MEET with a trainer. Spend the $50 or so to have them design a balanced routine based on your needs. They will even teach you things to do at home when you can't make it to the gym. It would be worth it I think.

I am off to the gym right now. Kristy has added it to her calendar to remind me to go every day. She will start nagging me by 2:15 each day. 8-) I am in a similar boat with you Emily. Before the cruise I was doing more cardio workouts than weights. I can really see the difference - and not in a good way! My back flaps and abs were getting tighter - and now they are saggy again. I am dreading facing the machines today because I HAVE to do the weight thing today. Sigh.

No comments: