Monday, March 20, 2006

300 Calorie difference

OK - to distract myself from eating I decided to calculate my calories for the day. First I did the My Pyramid tracker - because it is easier to figure out and it is what I have been using most often. That said my calories were at 650 so far (which is about what I figured them to be - see previous post for listed foods). THEN I did I did the Nutrion Data site's calculator. It was much harder to use. You had to enter all of your foods as ingredients in a recipe and then analyze the whole "recipe." Anyway IT said I was at 951 calories. I am not sure where the other 301 calories came from. It seemed to have a much more comprehensive food list - but then it didn't. I tried to enter beef stew - and it assumed canned. So I tried Pot Roast - but that didn't include the vegetables and gravy. I didn't want to use the canned stew because I knew mine was NO WHERE near as high in sodium. Let's Dish says that my pot roast serving was 152 calories. The pretzels were 75 calories. My coffee was probably about 10. My skim milk - about 60? Unsweetened applesauce and plain strawberries - anyone? Maybe 50 calories each? 100 there. My bagel was the big calorie ticket and I would guess it at about 200 - and I ate it with the applesauce. Cottage cheese - no idea... It could be 53 calories - which would be the 650. OK. So what is the other 300? I am SURE I didn't get that candy bar. I would remember...

4 comments:

Amy said...

I forgot my V-8. I can't remember the calorie count on that - but it is something like 30... I would be willing to bet I am more than 650 - but A LOT less than 951.

Sarah said...

I generally use product packaging for calorie counts whenever possible since then you don't have to worry about differences between brands. I only use Nutrition Data for things that aren't labeled, like fruits and vegetables (I haven't been able to get My Pyramid to work in months--it just stops halfway through the data entry section. Drives me nuts.). I'd use the Let's Dish information for their recipes. I don't think I've ever run into a situation where I've had a hard time calculating food I've cooked myself, but I don't often make things that have multiple ingredients. It's pretty much--slab of chicken, cooked; piece of fish, cooked.

Sarah said...

I just added up your calories from Nutrition Data based on your food list (and guessing some things--like is lowfat cottage cheese 1% or 2%?) and came up with roughly 560 calories using their calories for all but the pot roast. If you put in their pot roast amount (332 for 3 ounces--I'm not sure how much actual meat was in your serving but 3 ozs. is a standard serving of meat). If you put in their pot roast amount, you get a total of 736 calories. Oh, I didn't include the coffee because black coffee doesn't have any calories and I didn't know if you put milk or anything in it.

Here's the list:
cinnamon bagel: 78
applesauce: 52
skim milk: 83
pretzles: 81
pot roast: 152 or 332
strawberries: 25
V-8: 30 (they don't have the brand name, so I used your estimate; for generic low sodium vegetable and tomato juice, it says it's 53 calories for 8 ounces)
cottage cheese (1%): 55

Plus coffee, whatever that amounted to. I don't know where the 950 came from either, although you have to be really careful with the amounts you put in. The default isn't always what we'd consider a serving.

Amy said...

Our pot roast was about an 8oz slab (just guessing based on size...) cooked and dived into four servings. It was mostly veggies. This was the small portion of the roast that we had them cut into 3 pieces... It may have been smaller than 8 oz.