Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Deja vu, but this time it's real

I was 139.5 this morning. But two weeks ago when I hit that I was recovering a stomach virus, and last week it was a total fluke, 3 pounds different from the day before or after. This week I ate much better and exercised sufficiently (well, mostly), so I feel like I have a chance of moving down again in the coming weeks.

Yesterday was not so good, though. I didn't exercise because I really didn't have a spare minute all day -- we had school in the morning, then when I picked Alexander up from preschool we went out for coffee (and the coffee shop wasn't one with soup or sandwiches or anything but sweets), after which it was too late to get a proper lunch before I had to be at a friend's house to cut out and count up soup labels all afternoon for Alexander's school. When I got home it was later than we'd expected, so I barely had time to clean up the house before the sitter arrived, and then we were out until late. So no exercise.

Food was also bad. I had my usual breakfast, and I had a small snack of almonds in the morning. Then lunch was a latte (skim), which is hardly food, and I had a snack of a mouthful of raisins (one of those tiny boxes, and I swiped it from Alexander's leftover school snack) in mid-afternoon, and a snack of string cheese when I got home. So barely anything before 7 pm. Then we went out to a posh restaurant in Roanoke with two other couples (one is being recruited by Daniel's department, so the department paid for the dinner), where I had a bite of gourmet macaroni and cheese (I forget its real name), a bite of fried calamari, and a quarter of what amounted to a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich with the crusts cut off (by this time we were really laughing -- mac&cheese, grilled cheese, and fish sticks!). My dinner was some amazing combination of salmon and crab in phyllo with a sweet sauce with a hint of chili powder in it, and I ate what was labeled "exotic winter vegetables" which turned out to taste like sweet potatoes (the equivalent of about four julienne fries), and I had some of the mashed potatoes that were hiding under it all as well -- I have no idea how much of that. I refrained from eating dessert but I had a few sips of decaf, only it was lukewarm so I didn't drink any more. I did have some red wine but I haven't the faintest idea how much, because I started with a small glass and it stayed at that level all night (it was very posh -- the waiter knew his job) no matter how much I sipped, it seemed, until as a table we kicked the bottles. I think it was about two or two regular-sized glasses in the end.

Looking back, I really could have done worse at dinner, especially since I went with the seafood instead of a steak or something similar. But it was NOT a light meal and I went home very full!

Today I'm going to try again to squeeze in exercise; we have French class this afternoon, and seldom escape that until after 4, and we have a reception to go to tonight, but I'm not sure what time -- there should be some time for the gym in between!

No comments: