Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Why isn't today weigh-in day?

This morning I was 133.6--all four times I weighed myself! Man, life is unfair.

My goal this week is to exercise every weekday. I ran on Monday, did pilates yesterday, and have all my junk to get to the gym again today. Once I get into the habit, it's not so difficult to make myself do this stuff.

Yesterday I had lunch with an old college friend who has taken up participating in triathlons, so I asked her how she got into it. She started four years ago after giving birth to twins (babies four and five) and like us was just out of shape, overweight, and unhappy about that. So she started a walking program with the goal of building up to running. It took her a year till she could run the whole way. Then she did a "next step" program working on increasing her distance, and once she was finished with that she started participating in competitive runs, then joined a relay team for a triathlon, doing the running portion. And from there she just challenged herself to do all three stages. It was really motivating to talk to her--here she is with five kids and a PT job (she teaches at the college here) and SHE manages to find time to exercise/train regularly, so I should have no excuses.

Food yesterday wasn't stellar. Cereal for breakfast, almonds mid-morning, salad, pretzles, and cottage cheese and fruit for lunch, raisins right after lunch because I was still hungry, and then a muffin in the afternoon because I was *really* hungry and it was sitting around (that was about 240 calories I didn't really need), four (yikes!) chocolate chip cookies after work because I was still really hungry, chicken and dumplings for dinner (tiny serving because I thought it was gross--too watery and too many onions), and grapes for an evening snack. At least that was a healthy choice. Has *anyone* figured out a good way to deal with that time of day between work and dinner when you are starving and just need to eat whatever you can find as quickly as possible? That's always when I overeat junk.

1 comment:

Amy said...

You make me laugh! I was reading the "food not steller" list of perfect foods (even the muffin was forgivable) then I got to the part about the chocolate chip cookies. At least you ended the day well.